Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Re-program knoppix.sh for USB2.0 enable...Success!!!!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305

    Re-program knoppix.sh for USB2.0 enable...Success!!!!!

    Desire to increase the loading speed from external USB install of knoppix3.4 (2.6 option).

    Understand it may be done with changes to knoppix.sh but am unfamiliar with the program changes necessary to implement the USB enable.

    My system includes USB 2.0 with athlon 1900+ and a7v333 mobo.

    An associated question : if knoppix.sh is changed, will the loading speed change or is it unaffected ? I would expect the operating speed after install would be at 2.0 speeds while using the external drive for knoppix live programming.

    I read one post some time ago on the subject but lost its location.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    If you're booting Knoppix from the USB device then I don't think that you can fix it with a change to knoppix.sh.
    You have to edit linuxrc and burn a new CD.
    Look for these two lines:
    Code:
    FOUNDUSB=""
    for i in usb-uhci.o usb-ohci.o; do
    and change the second line to:
    Code:
    for i in ehci-hcd.o usb-uhci.o usb-ohci.o; do
    I loaded Knoppix onto my 1GB CompactFlash card and once I included the above fix in linuxrc it ran nearly three times faster.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    el supremo;

    I am anxious to try the change you recommend but am unfamiliar with the term "linuxrc".

    I assume I can edit the knoppix lines if I utilize the above procedure.

    The speed increase is welcome, for sure!

    Please advise.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    linuxrc is a shell script in the "miniroot" filesystem on the Knoppix CD.
    [EDIT] I forgot that you can boot from USB so your Knoppix image will be on a CF card or something similar and not on a CD, so it will be mounted as /mnt/sda1 or a similar name. It also means that you won't have to burn a CD once the miniroot has been modified.
    [/EDIT]
    This also assumes that you are using the Knoppix26 cheatcode. If you're using plain Knoppix (Linux V2.4) then change minirt26 to minirt24 everywhere below.

    As root do (I've added # comment lines that don't need to be typed):
    Code:
    # make a directory for the loop device
    mkdir /mnt/lp
    # Get the compressed miniroot - change the name sda1 if necessary
    cp /mnt/sda1/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz minirt26.gz
    # Uncompress it
    gunzip minirt26.gz
    # Mount it on the loop device
    mount -o loop minirt26 /mnt/lp
    # Copy the linuxrc file into the local directory
    cp /mnt/lp/linuxrc linuxrc
    #
    # HERE you edit the linuxrc file with the editor of your choice and write it back out again.
    # e.g.  kate linuxrc  
    #
    # And now we just put things back together
    # It'll ask if you want to overwrite the old version, answer yes.
    cp linuxrc /mnt/lp
    # Now unmount the miniroot
    umount /mnt/lp
    # and recompress it to produce minirt26.gz again
    gzip -9 minirt26
    At this point you now have a modified minirt26.gz file.
    [EDIT]
    Now all you have to do is copy it back to your USB card:
    Code:
    cp minirt26.gz /mnt/sda1/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz
    and reboot with fingers crossed
    [/EDIT]


    Best Wishes
    Pete

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    el_supremo;

    Somehow the name fits the data you supplied!!

    I will have great time performing this very helpful procedure.

    Even before I get to the job, I give you my compliments.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    el_supremo;

    Have accessed the minirt.gz and gunzipped it.

    I have found the ....FOUND USB =" "

    I have the first line exactly as you posted.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your post FOUNDUSB=""
    for i in usb-uhci.o usb-ohci.o; do



    and change the second line to:


    Code:


    for i in ehci-hcd.o usb-uhci.o usb-ohci.o; do
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The second line is posted below;

    FOUND USB=""
    for i in usb-uhci.o usb-ohci.o; do .....first line
    test -f /modules/scsi/$i && $INSMOD /modules/scsi/$i >/dev/null 2>&1 && .....second line...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    To follow your instructions " change the second line", I have to delete the test -f...etc----------------------

    Did you mean I should "add" the second line, leave the test-f in place.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    el_supremo;

    Hoping you catch this request for clarification per the previous post!!!!

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    Code:
    FOUNDUSB=""
    for i in usb-uhci.o usb-ohci.o; do
    I was counting FOUNDUSB as the first line.
    Just change the line with "for i ..." (second line) and you're done.
    "test -f ...." would be the third line - don't change it.

    Best Wishes
    Pete

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    el_supremo;

    I appreciate the clarification which indicates that the original line is replaced by the new ehci instruction.

    I am about to try that and will report result.

    Thanks for the info!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    Edited the minirt26 file but am afraid I misunderstand the method of modifying the file.

    Firstly, I have a USB HDD addressed as sda3 which I intend to load with the CD data (tohd=/dev/sda3).

    To supply the corrected CD for USB 2.0, I intended to modify the minirt26 file and burn a new CD.

    Having located the correct area and entered the new line in place of the old, I attempted to save the modified file.

    I cannot save the file due to encoding mismatch.

    I re-checked the procedure outlined in previous post and find that I need to understand the "loop" function. I do not have any "loop" program in my arch linux.

    Perhaps you can guide me further?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AOL & Knoppix == success!!!
    By mabhatter in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 10:38 PM
  2. Anyone had success with Knoppix and Madwifi?
    By MaldiGola in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
  3. USB2 support with Knoppix 3.3
    By timread in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 03:12 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.1 from CD - trying to access USB2 hard drive
    By VWguyBruce in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 07:42 AM
  5. Knoppix success story...
    By dvessey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99