Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Installing software libraries (not using apt-get?)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Installing software libraries (not using apt-get?)

    Hi

    I am trying to install GAUL (genetic algorithms utility library), for the purposes of developing software for my hons thesis. I've managed to make all the libraries, I just need to get them into usr/lib. GAUL comes set up so that I should just be able to go make install, but this tells me that usr/lib is on a r/o file system, so I can't copy to it. How do I get usr/lib to not be read-only, or how can I install these libraries elsewhere and tell the system to look there?

    (Or, am I on completely the wrong course? )

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Are you running from cd?

    If not, you have to run "make install" normally as root, because no one else has write-permissions to /usr/lib.

    This should be mentioned in either 'README' or 'INSTALL' or both.

Similar Threads

  1. HElP installing software
    By johnsmith01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 08:47 PM
  2. Installing software
    By dale-s in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 08:55 PM
  3. Trouble Installing Software
    By ikkenorsk in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 11:02 PM
  4. Installing Software
    By bilal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 09:29 AM
  5. Installing software?
    By nd_z in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$53.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Hitachi  / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD

$29.99



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59



6TB Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 ST6000NM0024 picture

6TB Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD v4 ST6000NM0024

$70.00