-
Knoppix 3.4 freezes hangs won't boot. Gateway BIOS problem?
I am the newest of newbies when it comes to Linux, but I have managed to stump some of my programmer friends with this one. Sorry for the length, but this starts as a Win / Mandrake problem and becomes a Knoppix problem:
I am attempting to run a dual boot Win XP / Mandrake 10.0 on a Gateway Solo 1450 laptop with 256mb of RAM. Using Partition Magic inside Win XP I attempted to create the appropriate partitions on my 20 gig HD. I don’t remember exactly, but I think in the end I used Mandrake’s partition maker to create the appropriate swap, boot, root, and whatever partitions. Mandrake is installed, but here’s where the problems begin.
When the computer boots, the first screen I see is the Gateway BIOS screen. Then I am sent to the Windows safe mode picker. If I attempt to start Windows normally, I go to the Windows XP Home loading screen, where it quickly messes up, flashes a blue screen with some grayish text, and gets caught in an endless loop of reboots. I don’t know why Mandrake does not start at load up. Does Gateway’s BIOS get in the way, trying to start Windows from a partition where there is no Windows? I feel like I have to change the Master Boot Record, so I attempt to use Knoppix…more problems.
In attempting to use Knoppix 3.4, I have tried passing numerous things at boot, but have only successfully gotten “inside” Knoppix once. If I start Knoppix without passing anything the first thing I encounter is the phrase “You passed an undefined mode number.” It gives me the option of pressing <return> to see video modes. There are 6, arranged with different numbers of columns and rows. I pick one, then it starts to uncompress Linux, and boot the kernel. The next phrase I get after the colored Welcome to Knoppix is “Probing SCSI….aic7xxx.o” From there it will hang indefinitely.
If I pass knoppix26, using the experimental 2.6 kernel, I see a lot more text load. It checks all sorts of things before the Welcome to Knoppix (hda, mice, serio, input, etc. etc.). Then it will hang at “Probing SCSI….advansys.o”
Obviously I have tried to boot while passing knoppix noscsi and knoppix26 noscsi. That results in a unique bunch of text passing, but eventually it hangs at a black screen. Passing expert or failsafe at boot, I feel like I get slightly “closer” to getting inside the Knoppix OS. Passing expert I see that INIT and a kernel version 2.78 are close to the last lines of text before the screen goes black. When I pass failsafe the kernel begins decompressing again, there is a loading bar when it auto configures devices…all sorts of fun stuff happens. Then the screen goes black again. Interestingly, it is not the same black as when I pass expert or noscsi. It is the black where the monitor is on, but there is no visual data to display. Kind of a “white” black. When I pass expert and noscsi, it looks as though the monitor is simply turned off, it is blackly black.
I have been inside Knoppix once before, I just don’t know how I did it! I left Knoppix hanging for a very long time once, but I don’t know what I passed at boot. When I returned I had a desktop that took up a very small portion of the screen. There was probably a 2 inch black buffer around the desktop of monitor space that wasn’t being used, but Knoppix was fully loaded. I think my only option right now is to let it hang with various things passed until I finally get back inside Knoppix and can hope to change the MBR or do whatever I need to do. But this is a terrible way to go about booting what should be a live CD. So what do I do? Thanks a lot people…
Similar Threads
-
By iwasnthere in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
-
By growngizmo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
-
By orcsoul in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-14-2003, 07:57 AM
-
By redsmoke in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 07:12 PM
-
By dogson in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM
$286.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

64GB Kit (4x16GB) - 16GB DDR-4 3200AA MHz UDIMM Samsung M378A2G43AB3-CWE Tested
$255.00

Samsung M393A2K43DB3 16GB (1x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz M393A2K43DB3
$89.99

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V
$41.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00

Team Group T-Force Vulcan 32GB (2x16GB) TLZGD416G3200HC16FBK - Tested
$149.95