-
Junior Member
registered user
My screen display is ghosted !
I’ve recently installed Knoppix 3.1 from CD to HD with knx-hdinstall.
When I boot from the floppy it displays the $prompt, then loads devices and after a short while presents a Linux/Debian login box.
I login either to Root or Knoppix and when the screen appears it is split into 2-3 ghosted desktops. I’ve tried using the various cheatcodes at the boot prompt but no joy.
Also I cannot access ‘Display’ at the prompt, I get Error: Kunique Application: can’t determine display, aborting.
My card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro.
I’m a relative newbie to Linux so could someone please give me couple of pointers.
I’m confused about LILO, how can I get it to boot Knoppix/Debian from HD without the need for the floppy at startup ?
I’ve spent nearly 5 days on this and feel that I am so near to getting it up and running but have maybe overlooked some crucial step, can anyone spot it ?
My system is AMD Duron 1300, Via 266B mb, 256ram, 2 HD’s, 1 is XP Pro, the other Linux ext2 + swap file partitions.
Any help greatly appreciated, I can’t wait to chuck XP in the bin and use Linux 100%.
I’ve also tried editing xf86config but as screen is so badly ghosted it is near on impossible to interact with this utility !!
Similar Threads
-
By Ark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
-
By WirelessTechRadio in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-10-2004, 08:28 PM
-
By Tets in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
-
By bigd652 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 07:27 PM
-
By Alex1 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Dell AT101W GYUM90SK 6780D ps/2 'Clicky' Mechanical Beige Keyboard
$79.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Compaq Presario 7594 Vintage Desktop PC Windows 98 SE 64MB Floppy CD-ROM
$129.00

15x Vintage ISA Controller Card Lot IDE MFM RLL Floppy I/O 8-Bit 16-Bit PC XT AT
$149.95

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8
$170.99

Vintage IBM Parallel Card / PC Board 6347751
$99.99

Vintage FCRTM 34T778231G01 / 34T778233-A Card for IBM PC
$99.99

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00