Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: My screen display is ghosted !

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16

    My screen display is ghosted !

    I’ve recently installed Knoppix 3.1 from CD to HD with knx-hdinstall.
    When I boot from the floppy it displays the $prompt, then loads devices and after a short while presents a Linux/Debian login box.
    I login either to Root or Knoppix and when the screen appears it is split into 2-3 ghosted desktops. I’ve tried using the various cheatcodes at the boot prompt but no joy.
    Also I cannot access ‘Display’ at the prompt, I get Error: Kunique Application: can’t determine display, aborting.
    My card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro.
    I’m a relative newbie to Linux so could someone please give me couple of pointers.
    I’m confused about LILO, how can I get it to boot Knoppix/Debian from HD without the need for the floppy at startup ?
    I’ve spent nearly 5 days on this and feel that I am so near to getting it up and running but have maybe overlooked some crucial step, can anyone spot it ?
    My system is AMD Duron 1300, Via 266B mb, 256ram, 2 HD’s, 1 is XP Pro, the other Linux ext2 + swap file partitions.
    Any help greatly appreciated, I can’t wait to chuck XP in the bin and use Linux 100%.
    I’ve also tried editing xf86config but as screen is so badly ghosted it is near on impossible to interact with this utility !!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I'm going from memory but I think this is correct...
    Use a console, press <CTRL><ALT><F2> and login as root, then use a text editor, nano is pretty easy to use, and edit your XF86Config-4 file. Use the following command from a prompt:

    nano -w /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    scroll down and look for the following line:
    ...
    #Option "sw_cursor"
    ...

    remove the hash (#) from before the word option, so it looks like this:
    ...
    Option "sw_cursor"
    ...
    then save the file, by pressing " <CTRL>x " then " y " (leave the quotes out) then probably the easiest thing to do, restart your computer.

    HTH

    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16

    Ghosted screen/desktop

    Rock

    Thanks for info.
    I'll give it a try.

    Alex1

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    6
    I also have an ATI Rage 128 pro and Knoppix works fine for me. Something like this happened when I first tried to run it but the at the boot prompt I tried typing in "Knoppix screen=1024x768" and then it recognized my card at booted properly.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16

    Booting from HD now !

    Rock

    Just to mention progress so far, I have managed to get my system to boot my Knoppix 3.1 cd/HD installation directly from the HD now bypassing the need to boot from floppy.
    I used MC in a shell console to edit Lilo.conf to look for /dev/hda1 by booting from the knoppix cd, then rebooting and it loaded Lilo.
    Only downside is screen display still in a ghosted state, but I can now see the penguin which although ghosted I wasn't seeing before.
    I'm still trying with different screen settings.
    If you have any more tips I would be grateful.

    TIA
    Alex1

Similar Threads

  1. Out-of-whack screen display
    By Ark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 08:46 AM
  2. Problems with Garbled SCREEN display after boot from CD
    By WirelessTechRadio in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 08:28 PM
  3. No display after boot screen
    By Tets in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM
  4. Getting full screen display
    By bigd652 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 07:27 PM
  5. Cant get proper screen display ! Please help
    By Alex1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$189.99



Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD picture

Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD

$179.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro

$240.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99