-
Hangs when scanning harddisks partitions
When booting Knoppix 3.4 from CD and after detecting hardware, process hangs when "scanning harddisks partitions and creating /etc/fstab".
It's and old Pentium II at 350MHz with 128 MB RAM.
I've tested CD in other computers, including another PII and a PIV Laptop and Knoppix boots and works perfectly.
What can be the problem here?
Thanks for your attention!!
Oh, I forgot it...Knoppix 3.2 works ok in this rebel machine...
-
Re: Hangs when scanning harddisks partitions

Originally Posted by
Jaster
When booting Knoppix 3.4 from CD and after detecting hardware, process hangs when "scanning harddisks partitions and creating /etc/fstab".
It's and old Pentium II at 350MHz with 128 MB RAM.
i am also having that problem with the system freezing during the scan. i'm running on a Celeron 366MHz, 112MB RAM.
(from dmesg)
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL EX12.7A, ATA DISK drive
hdb: MAXTOR 2F020J0, ATA DISK drive
hdc: ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 36X MAXIMUM, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
only solution that i thought of was to turn off my DMA at the "boot:" prompt with "knoppix nodma". this worked for me, although i haven't a clue why. i never bothered looking up any information to see if there were any DMA problems with my specific drives or not. what drives do you have in your machine? try using "nodma", and see if there's any difference. good luck.
-
I booted with cheatcode nodma and it goes perfectly. Thank you!!
I think that the problem is dma acceleration in my drives, because Knoppix 3.2 that worked without problems has dma acceleration turned off by default. I don't know if all drives have the same problem or if it's only the hard drive or maybe somehow about the motherboard...
As I said it's and old machine...I'll investigate about this.
My drives are:
hda:MAXTOR ATA DISK DRIVE (sorry, I don't remember the serial number)
hdb: ATAPI LG CDROM DRIVE x52
hdc: ATAPI LITEON CDR/RW DRIVE
Thank you again!
-
As I suspected, it's my BIOS. Too old version for that ATA drive (prior to 199
. I can survive booting with nodma options...
C ya!
Similar Threads
-
By mln in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 14
Last Post: 08-02-2005, 01:17 AM
-
By MaldiGola in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-28-2004, 03:37 AM
-
By soofsoof in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By magicoizo in forum General Support
Replies: 16
Last Post: 05-22-2004, 04:35 PM
-
By illcuban in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari SX212 Modem for IBM Systems w/ Box, Owner's Manual & Power Adapter NOS
$125.00

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

Atari OS & Memory Expansion Cartridges Lot - Untested Possibly For Parts/Repairs
$149.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Atari 400 Computer System console with Power Supply TESTED and Working
$150.00