Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Edit, Schmedit

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5

    Edit, Schmedit

    I'm using a small scale Knoppix derivative and am having a problem getting a timely answer to a question I raised on their forum. I thought I might get some help here.

    The question pertains to the use of the CD while operating in RAM; it is not a hard disk installation question. Put simply, I'd like to edit /etc/profile to change some of the ANSI color sequences used for the prompt. Using nano, I can access the file but can't edit it and this is so even after running su -. What's happening here, I mean the whole thing is in RAM and will revert to default when I reboot. Why can't I edit this file, anyone know?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    What error message are you getting? My guess is that even though it is in RAM, the system has mounted itself 'read only' so you would first have to change the read only setting before you could edit it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    Hi CrashedAgain,

    Was able to get the question resolved on the derivative distro's forum. As it turns out, it is necessary to remove the /etc/profile's symlink with:

    rm /etc/profile

    followed by entering "yes" when you're prompted for an answer. Next, copy as follows:

    cp /KNOPPIX/etc/profile /etc/profile.

    Bring up /etc/profile in an editor and edit to your heart's content.

    A search brings evidence of similar questions here on the KNOPPIX forum which are answered in the same way as above. I happened to see them just as my question was addresses on the other forum. Many thanks for your taking the time to reply.

    jlowell

Similar Threads

  1. How do you edit lilo?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 04:00 PM
  2. linuxrc: how to edit?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  3. Trying to edit file onn hdd.
    By CyberInzane in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
  4. menu edit
    By sfit in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 04:49 AM
  5. iso edit
    By iomari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD

$19.90



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$343.98



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99