What error message are you getting? My guess is that even though it is in RAM, the system has mounted itself 'read only' so you would first have to change the read only setting before you could edit it.
I'm using a small scale Knoppix derivative and am having a problem getting a timely answer to a question I raised on their forum. I thought I might get some help here.
The question pertains to the use of the CD while operating in RAM; it is not a hard disk installation question. Put simply, I'd like to edit /etc/profile to change some of the ANSI color sequences used for the prompt. Using nano, I can access the file but can't edit it and this is so even after running su -. What's happening here, I mean the whole thing is in RAM and will revert to default when I reboot. Why can't I edit this file, anyone know?
What error message are you getting? My guess is that even though it is in RAM, the system has mounted itself 'read only' so you would first have to change the read only setting before you could edit it.
Hi CrashedAgain,
Was able to get the question resolved on the derivative distro's forum. As it turns out, it is necessary to remove the /etc/profile's symlink with:
rm /etc/profile
followed by entering "yes" when you're prompted for an answer. Next, copy as follows:
cp /KNOPPIX/etc/profile /etc/profile.
Bring up /etc/profile in an editor and edit to your heart's content.
A search brings evidence of similar questions here on the KNOPPIX forum which are answered in the same way as above. I happened to see them just as my question was addresses on the other forum. Many thanks for your taking the time to reply.
jlowell

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard
$101.99
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99