Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Partitioning with knoppix-installer...

  1. #1

    Partitioning with knoppix-installer...

    The laptop is only going to be running Linux, but I do plan to share files with WinXP computers. Anyway, I want to do a harddrive installation...

    I've created a 20GB primary partition, set it as bootable. By default, the filesystem is set to Linux.
    Then I created a logical 768MB linux swap partition.
    The remaining space was partitioned as NTFS.

    I then wrote the partition table to the drive. When I exit the partition tool, I get this message:

    "The installer detected that the installation requirements are not fullfilled yet.

    Please make sure that you have an free partition with at least 2 GB to install knoppix on. Also we need a swap partition with at least 128 MB, if you don't have 512 MB Memory or more.

    In the following menu, you can [...]"

    What requirements haven't I met?? I'm just using the partitioning tool supplied with knoppix-installer if that helps. (I can't start qtparted)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    The trick is to go through the entire first step -- "1. Configure Installation" -- then quit without going any further, and save your configuration by answering "yes" when it asks.

    (You can save your knoppix-installer configuration under your own filename/location, but if you do, you'll have to reload it manually. So let's not muddy the waters with that.)

    The default configuration file is saved as /root/.knofig (note the leading dot -- it's normally hidden). Edit this part of .knofig in your favorite text editor:

    Code:
    # If set to yes, the program will NOT check if there is enough space to install knoppix on the selected partition(s). Use at your own risk! Useful for example with HD_MAP if you only have a small root partition.
    # Possible are: yes|no
    # Default value is: no
    HD_IGNORECHECK="no"
    Change the "no" to "yes" and save the file, and when you restart the knoppix-installer, you will no longer get this error message.

    Check out the rest of .knofig to see other options you can play with.

  3. #3
    Hmm. I ran:
    emacs /root/.knofig
    and got an empty file. When I hit ctrl+alt+f5 to get back into the GUI, I can't mount Hda1. All I want to do is force Knoppix to install to those partitions... am I doing something wrong?

    I figured knoppix-installer would actually work in the 5/10/04 release...

Similar Threads

  1. Partitioning for Knoppix only
    By Free in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 06:09 AM
  2. Knoppix HD Install Error While Partitioning
    By mentalalien2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 02:03 PM
  3. Partitioning within knoppix
    By Shrike in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 07:40 PM
  4. HDD knoppix without partitioning
    By waynejkruse10 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:02 AM
  5. Knoppix/Debian Newbie - Partitioning Advice
    By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



Vaquform DT2 - Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine picture

Vaquform DT2 - Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine

$800.00



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER  picture

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER

$39.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99