Maybe has to do with the CONTROL CENTER?
3.4 (2.6.6) hd installed. When using "root" my desktop configuration is saved, and when I reboot to root the desktop comes up as I last configured it. when I use user desktop my desktop configuration is not saved . Example: When in "user" the default floppy doesn't work. I delete that floppy and and make a new "floppy device icon" (/dev/fd0) which works as it should. When I shut down and reboot to user. The old default icons are now back. It seems I am unable to erase the default user devices permanently from the user desktop. Also, my sound mixer settings revert back to the default settings too.
TIA, Jesse
Maybe has to do with the CONTROL CENTER?
Perhaps you can try saving your Knoppix configuration and editing your LILO to boot Knoppix with your saved configuration.
From the K menu go to Knoppix and one of the options should be to save current Knoppix configuration. Just follow the directions from there.
I think you are talking about making a copy of knoppix config so when booting Knoppix from
CDROM you can boot with your latest configuration, and not use the default CDROM config.
Hopefully, I can find a way to save my "user" desktop config automatically, like it does when in "root", so that the "user" desktop will be saved as user default and will boot up to that when the user desktop is chosen. I'm sure fstab has nothing to do with it as it is not changing. What I would like to know is, when user is picked as opposed to root, what file or files determine which
links should be placed on the user desktop. Could this have been written into the kernel by Knoppix?
TIA, Jesse

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99
1 Dell Ultra SSD M.2 NVMe PCI-Express x16 Solid State Storage Adapter Card 6N9RH
$59.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
Broadcom LSI Avago RAID card MegaRAID SAS 9480-8i8e 05-50031-00
$400.00
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00