-
Senior Member
registered user
I have experienced something similar. I used knoppix 3.3 (i think) and it would behave like yours; it would see the NIC in lspci, I would run netcardconfig but it would NOT get a address via DHCP, and it would not work even if I assigned it a static IP address. Since this was on a newly built PC, I had no idea if it was actually getting a address or not. I ended up using a hub and another PC running knoppix and I used ethereal to sniff the packets on my home lan. I discovered that the NIC was physically receiving the DHCP packets but it seemed as though the kernel wasn't processing them. So with the idea that the kernel might be the problem, I searched these forums and discovered that I could try to use a knoppix cheatcode noapic at bootup. I rebooted yet again and the noapic command worked! Now the NIC would behave normally and never exhibited the strange behavior.
This NIC problem has disappeared (for me) when I use knoppix 3.4 5-17.
I hope this helps.
James
Similar Threads
-
By calathar in forum Networking
Replies: 12
Last Post: 05-03-2005, 06:47 AM
-
By linukas in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 10:13 AM
-
By sunpascal in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-02-2004, 02:08 PM
-
By jselman in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-02-2003, 12:33 AM
-
By THiM in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99