Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Small remastering help needed

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    Small remastering help needed

    Hello!

    I have Knoppix 3.4. I successfully used the knoppix-installer script to install Knoppix 3.4 on my hard drive. For a certain application (LFS 6.0 testing) I need a 2.6.* kernel compiled with GCC 3.*, and a "cat /proc/version" command tells me the K3.4 kernel is 2.6.5 compiled with GCC 2.<whatever>. Now I want to somehoe recompile the same 2.6.5 kernel with a newer GCC; however, the Knoppix remastering / custom kernel HOWTOs are a little above my level of knowledge and understanding... What I want to do is keep the current kernel configuration and just compile it; however I didn't find the kernel source code in /usr/src, and a configuration file only for the 2.4.*.... In short, I'm in need of advice how to proceed to get a working Knoppix with a 2.6.* kernel compiled with GCC 3.*

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    The custom kernel howto should cover what you want to do. You should find the default config for the 2.6 kernel in /boot/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Here's what I figured out myself. I downloaded the kernel source from http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/sources, unpacked it to /usr/src, and ran "make mrproper" on it. Then I copied the .config-2.6.5 file from the /boot folder to the kernel folder, and renamed it to .config. I then ran "make" and "make modules-install". Then, I copied the System.map and arch/i386/boot/bzImage files to /boot, renaming them to System-2.6.5.map and vmlinuz-2.6.5 respectively, overwriting the ones that were already there. When I did that I rebooted the PC, and everything ran as before. Typing "cat /proc/version" however STILL returned a 2.6.5 kernel compiled with GCC 2.whatever. So either:
    1) the /proc/version file (if one exists, I think /proc was some kind of virtual folder, right?) is not updated, or
    2) the system for some reason is nto using my precompiled kernel.
    Any ideas what to do?

    Godji

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    48

    kernel overwrite

    1 probably ,you have not repointing linux to your kernel
    cd /usr/src && rm linux
    ln -s /your kernel/ linux <----this is the problem
    2 from 2.6.x up you dont need to copy bzimage...
    after make oldconfig , " make install "will do (and make modules_install of course)
    3 look at Makefile and see the version number,addendum...
    at the beginning (you can even put extension_funny_names
    so later uname -a gives "president of virtual USA" )
    4 after make install ,check grub /lilo
    normally with grub the make install modifies for you already
    pointing link to new vmlinuz and systemmap
    just reboot and cross fingers

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    I fugred out where the problem was. In fact, for some reason the recompilation STILL used gcc 2.whatever, although the default version was 3.3.3. I deleted gcc 2.whatever and symlinked the name of the executable to point to the new gcc. This did it, and now it says what it's supposed to - that it was compiled with GCC 3.3.3. Thanks everyone for the help!

    Godji

    P.S. Now at startup I get a few modules complaining and not being able to start due to the alternative gcc version that has compiled the kernel. I did "make modules-install" of course so I don't know why that happens. But it's not that I care.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by Godji
    P.S. Now at startup I get a few modules complaining and not being able to start due to the alternative gcc version that has compiled the kernel. I did "make modules-install" of course so I don't know why that happens. But it's not that I care.
    The modules are stored in miniroot.gz.. so you have to put them there.. it's in the custom kernel howto

Similar Threads

  1. small linux without GUI etc needed
    By ottosykora in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 02:08 PM
  2. Help remastering Knoppix 3.7, KNOPPIX file too small
    By DVknoppix in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 09:16 PM
  3. Remastering Suite V1.01 released! Easy Knoppix-Remastering
    By PrOCesSkIlL in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 01:32 AM
  4. Damn Small Linux remastering problems
    By TyphoonMentat in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 09:24 AM
  5. Remastering Scripts : easy remastering
    By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK

$285.99



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$242.00



Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch picture

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch

$379.00