-
Don't see what I am doing wrong
I am trying to install knoppix 3.4 to my harddrive. I have been reading information pertaining to this for about 5 hours. I then tried to do it 3 times now and when I am finished I take out the CD and reboot my machine. It looks like it is booting and puts the word GRUB on the screen. Then it just sits there. I left it like that all three times for no less than 30 minutes. I guess it is hanging or I have done something wrong. Hopefully someone can give me some info. The following is what I did.
Booted into Knoppix 3.4 and checked it out. I liked it and thought since this thing can boot and run ontop of a OS from the CD this is the linux distro for me. I am linux noob by the way. Just came back from hope and found out that I need to learn linux. So I read the faq about harddrive install, the tutorial for harddrive install and about 9 other things relating to Knoppix harddrive install. I beleive I am ready so I go about my task. I press ctrl+alt+f2 to get a root terminal. I use this command "sudo knoppix-installer" to start the install. Next I choose to partition my 3 gig harddrive. 2.5g and .5g partitions. I select the 2.5g and change the type to ext3 and then make it bootable. Next I select the .5g and change the type to linux swap. Finally I choose write the table. I save the configuration and reboot. I get to terminal as root and use the install command again and this time I choose load config. I type my file name and it shows me the info. Now I choose to install and it askes me about 3 different types 1. a hardware detection type 2. a knoppix like cd type and 3 a debian type. I choose the 2nd option. It askes me to choose the partition to set up linux on and I choose the 2.5g partition. It looks as if it is installing. When it is finished it gives me back to terminal as root and I reboot the machine and remove my cd. When machine reboots tho I end up with GRUB on my screen and it appears that nothing else is happening. Any thoughts, suggestions, and help are welcome.
Thanks,
Jera
Similar Threads
-
By slp44 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 01:23 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:56 AM
-
By mikejn1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM
-
By Borthas in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98