-
No. Nothing at all happens when I try to type. It is quite bothersome that the GRUB prompt is there. Like I said it seems to me that my system locks up. The only key commands I can get to work is ctrl+alt+del which will reboot my system. I tried typing at the GRUB when I first got it and nothing shows up on screen, I even tried typing and pressing enter for the heck of it and nothing happend. I dont even hear my harddrive spinning.
Now I tried something different. I booted from the cd and clicked on terminal at the bottom of the desktop. In the terminal I typed su then pressed enter, at the next prompt I typed sudo knoppix-installer which in turn gave me qtparted for the first time ever. I have never typed the su part before the sudo knoppix-installer part before because I always opened a terminal before by pressing ctrl+alt+f2. This time I opend a terminal from the desktop icon at the bottom as I mentioned and used the su to get to root. However, once I was in qtparted, I could not change my partitions because the hard drive was listed as read only. I tried to use one of the tabs at the top(don't recall which one, although I looked through all of them) to change it but the only option I could find was to view the partitions. So how do I get this program to let me change the drive to read/write so that I can set up the partitions.
Now before you tell me "hey noob, you just click on the icon of the drive and change it" I tried that. I also tried to mount the drive by opening the terminal and doing the following
Code:
su hit enter then /mnt/hda1 then hit enter then /mnt/hda2 followed by enter.
Please inform me what I am doing wrong. I have been searching and reading and reading and reading and searching and have yet to come across the answer. Oh and in case you don't think I have been searching for the answer I want you to know that I have been attempting to do this (install knoppix on hard drive) for a total of 7hours and 19 minutes, but who is counting
One last question before I get back to searching and reading, is there a way I can verify that the install worked before I reboot? because it sends me to the prompt when it is done and I normally just type shutdown -r now and remove the cd and hope that it actually boots.
One last bit of info that may help you point me in the right direction. I have now installed, in this order, the following versions of linux on the hard drive: redhat 7, fedora core, suse 8.2, debian 3, and now attempted to do knoppix 9 times now. Maybe that is why I am getting grub?
Thanks,
Jera
P.S. I am having so much fun learning linux. I love to learn and I cant wait to be microsoft independent so please help me, it is for a great cause
Similar Threads
-
By slp44 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 01:23 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:56 AM
-
By mikejn1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM
-
By Borthas in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 1200xl Original ROM And MMU set
$20.00