Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Don't see what I am doing wrong

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Yes I understand the cheat codes and how to use them. However I am giving up on installing knoppix on the hard drive. Looking from my point of view, I see many people that have installed knoppix to hard drive. But when I look for help in the forums I see two people answering me (mostly just one person). I find that to be very unuseful. Another thing I find unuseful is the lack of answers to my questions. If all these people have installed to hard drive then why cant anyone give me a step by step process to do it? The tutorial is lacking a step by step and gives just an overview. I don't know what else to say on that subject.

    On a side note, I thank you from my heart eco2geek for your attempts to help and point me in the correct direction but I feel that a knoppix hard drive install is too difficult at this time and has taken too much of my time without getting me to the end. The end being knoppix booting off my hard drive so that I can then learn linux, configure linux, and enjoy my freedom from microsoft. It bothers me that only one person is really responding to me because all I want is to have a hard drive install of knoppix. I am not asking for someone to come to my house, put linux on my hard drive and stay for two years showing me everything they know about it. I just wanted to get it on the hard drive. It seems to me that was too much to ask. Good luck to you all and to knoppix.


    Thanks,

    Jera

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.P., MI, USA
    Posts
    35
    I am giving up on installing knoppix on the hard drive.
    Yah, hey dere, Jera!

    I'm a newbie too, but I've been reading & learning here. As a starting point, I'd say don't try to use the Knoppix-style install to HD. I keep reading about problems, with people trying to use the compressed CD files off HD. You'll lose the hardware auto-detection during bootup, but I think having had it performed during the boot instance where you've run the installer pre-sets a bunch of parameters you need. (?) I've got a functioning Linux set up now, although I've still got lots of bugs to work out. I did it by choosing the Debian-style install w/ LILO. I used the cfdisk from the installer program to repartition the HD, then rebooted from CD so I could use Qparted to change partition type to ex3. (It wouldn't stick as such, using the cfdisk.) You might need to just wipe the entire HD to scratch/empty/no partitions, to get rid of that GRUB. (I'm sure there's some better way, but I don't know it yet - so, this is the "brute force" method.)

    I'm not sure if it was you that asked about this, but to use multiple parameters on the Knoppix entry line when booting from CD is simplicity itself - after typing the word "Knoppix", you just type the parameters in with spaces in-between, and only hit the enter key when you're finished with the list of presets.

    For example: "Knoppix vga=normal screen=800x600 noswap"
    (without the quotation marks, of course!)

    Hope this helped!

    Scruffy

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    I'm sorry it didn't/doesn't work! And I seriously would come over to your house, except the plane ticket would probably be too expensive.

    Actually, you should seriously consider grabbing someone you know who's Knoppix-saavy and have them come over and walk you through it. That was going to be my next suggestion.

    AFAIK, there's no way to get rid of GRUB except to install another bootloader in its place. (As the GRUB FAQ says, there's no "uninstall" for GRUB -- you just install another bootloader like LILO.)

    Believe me, if you've successfully installed Debian Woody, installing Knoppix is a lot easier. I'm not sure why you're having all this trouble.

    The closest thing I know of to an install tutorial is this Kanotix installation walk-through. (Kanotix is a Knoppix remaster -- a very good Knoppix remaster. You might consider it.)

    Hopefully, one of these days I'm going to rework that walk-through for Knoppix and post it to the web.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Need to know what i have done wrong
    By slp44 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 01:23 AM
  2. All going very wrong!
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:56 AM
  3. OK~ what am i doing wrong..
    By mikejn1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 02:42 PM
  4. Where did I go wrong ...
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 10:21 AM
  5. Graphics all wrong
    By Borthas in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 06:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99