-
Having trouble with Knoppix HD based how to
I'm in the process of putting knoppix on my HD, not installing just putting the live-cd on my HD. I read the HD based how to and followed the instructions to copy knoppix to HD & make the hd-copy bootable with LILO on HD.
1.2.1. Knoppix 3.4 version only
* Partition the harddisk to make room for knoppix:
o ext2 partition /dev/hda6 used to boot the kernel with lilo (10 Meg)
o ext2 partition /dev/hda7 for the knoppix image (I used 1000 Meg, but 800 Meg should be enough)
o swap partition /dev/hda8 (I used 256 Meg, but depends on your physical RAM)
o ext2 partition /dev/hda9 for the persistent home (any value you can spare)
* Boot the knoppix cd with the cheatcode "tohd=/dev/hda7". This will copy the knoppix image to disk.
* Reboot the knoppix cd with the cheatcode "fromhd=/dev/hda7" and check if it runs without the cd.
* Make the persistent homedir via the knoppix menu (penguin icon->configuration->make persistent dir).
* Do not save your KNOPPIX configuration via the menu, all changes to the environment will be saved automatically because of the persistent home.
* Copy the files from /boot to /mnt/hda6. Also copy the file "/mnt/cdrom/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz" from the cd to /mnt/hda6.
* Copy /etc/lilo.conf to /mnt/hda6 and make the following boot entries (do not forget to uncomment the line with "prompt", or else the lilo boot menu will not appear):
image=/mnt/hda6/vmlinuz initrd=/mnt/hda6/minirt24.gz
append="fromhd=/dev/hda7 home=/dev/hda9 apm=power-off lang=nl hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi" root=/dev/hda7 label=Knoppix read-write
other=/dev/hda1
label=Windows98
* Mount the /mnt/hda6 partition temporary as /boot so lilo writes its map-file to the right place (sudo mount /dev/hda6 /boot)
* Let lilo write the boot loader to the master boot record (sudo lilo -C /mnt/hda6/lilo.conf)
* Remove the knoppix cd-rom and reboot. Now lilo will show you the menu and you can choose between win98 and knoppix.
* That's it. Enjoy.
I followed all the instructions up until it says to copy the files from /boot to /mnt/hd6, I'm trying to do this by dragging the files in the boot folder onto hd6 but it gives me an access denied. I made sure that the hd is mounted and writeable but it still happens. Can anyone help me do this, I also don't understand what it means to make a boot entry or the uncomment thing. I am totally new to linux and knoppix, so please use language I can understand. Thank you.
Similar Threads
-
By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-11-2004, 10:21 PM
-
By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-10-2004, 04:24 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 01:55 PM
-
By pilovis in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By lindleyrl in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN
$55.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00