-
I have two machines connected in a local LAN and the newer machine also has a ethernet card through a cable modem to the internet.
When I just booted them with the CD they didn't find each other.
Here's what I did - it might help you.
Boot both machines with the ClusterKnoppix CD.
On the new machine configure the local connection first (things go wrong if the cable modem is done first). I forget the precise IP number that is used by default but call it X.Y.Z.1
I accepted that default number and all the other defaults. Then I configured the cable modem connection (as DHCP).
Then as root execute:
omdiscd -i eth0
where eth0 (or eth1 etc.) is the name of the connection.
Now on the old machine I configured its ethernet card. The default IP number is again X.Y.Z.1 and I changed it to X.Y.Z.2, accepted all the other defaults and then executed:
omdiscd -i eth0
Now they could both see each other and processes would migrate and if you save the configuration on each machine and boot up with myconfig=scan they'll come up next time without needed to be configured.
It was really cool seeing the processes migrate. In 1982 I did my M.Sc thesis on process migration and it was nowhere as easy to do then.
Best Wishes
Pete
Similar Threads
-
By knight28974 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-13-2005, 08:34 PM
-
By rvg in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-24-2004, 11:33 PM
-
By plener in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-11-2004, 01:53 AM
-
By gordonzero in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-21-2004, 01:08 AM
-
By deathmas in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

SanDisk Ultra Luxe USB 3.1 Flash Drive – 5 Pack | Premium Metal USB Flash Drives
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$385.00

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99