-
Using Knoppix to Recover Windows 98
Hi all, is it possible to run Knoppix 3.4 from the CD to fix a corrupt FAT32 partition?
Here's basically what happened:
I dual-booted my Windows 98 system to run 98 and SuSE 9.1, but after a lil' bit, 98 stopped booting when I selected to boot it. It'd say "Please enter the path to the command script (eg: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)", and when I'd do that, it'd still not work.
So, now I can only run SuSE successfully. I only have a recovery CD for 98, no floppy (plus, my floppy drive is screwy).
Here's the specs that I know of for the computer:
HP Pavilion 6545C
63 Megs of usable RAM
12 Gig HD (6 Gig for 98, 7 for SuSE and the swap)
*My Windows 98 format is FAT32*
Knoppix can run on the computer, because I've done it before.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think you have to reinstall win98. Create a linux boot disk from suse first and after reinstall of win98,boot using the linux disk and run lilo(or grub).
-

Originally Posted by
bongski55
I think you have to reinstall win98. Create a linux boot disk from suse first and after reinstall of win98,boot using the linux disk and run lilo(or grub).
Thanks 
I got it all fixed up a couple of days ago though (I've been fixing it up some).
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't think you can use one OS to repair another corrupted OS especially windows.Perhaps if you were able to do otherwise you would be kind enough to post the steps here?
-
Here's what I did:
1. Delete all the partitions (they were all way to small; 400-500 megs each)
2. Create a primary dos partition
3. Restarted w/ my Windows 98 Recovery CD
4. Got to the command line
5. cd'ed til I got to c:\windows\*folder* (i forgot what the folder was called)
6. typed in: fdisk /status (to test if fdisk was there)
7. then i typed: format c (to completely reformat my c drive)
8. restarted w/ my cd in the drive still, and re-installed 98
9. got to the command line again (before windows loaded)
10. typed fdisk /mbr (i did this since my bootloading was screwed up)
and it was fixed. to find the *folder* in step 5, just cd to the main drive (c, d, or whatever), and type fdisk /status, if that doesn't work, just cd x:\windows\, then if that fails, just go through all the folders in windows. (note: x = main drive)
Similar Threads
-
By richpodraza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
-
By madmike in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
-
By bradleyko in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
-
By OziD in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-16-2003, 07:20 AM
-
By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-05-2003, 04:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00