Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Using Knoppix to Recover Windows 98

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6

    Using Knoppix to Recover Windows 98

    Hi all, is it possible to run Knoppix 3.4 from the CD to fix a corrupt FAT32 partition?

    Here's basically what happened:

    I dual-booted my Windows 98 system to run 98 and SuSE 9.1, but after a lil' bit, 98 stopped booting when I selected to boot it. It'd say "Please enter the path to the command script (eg: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)", and when I'd do that, it'd still not work.

    So, now I can only run SuSE successfully. I only have a recovery CD for 98, no floppy (plus, my floppy drive is screwy).

    Here's the specs that I know of for the computer:

    HP Pavilion 6545C
    63 Megs of usable RAM
    12 Gig HD (6 Gig for 98, 7 for SuSE and the swap)

    *My Windows 98 format is FAT32*

    Knoppix can run on the computer, because I've done it before.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    I think you have to reinstall win98. Create a linux boot disk from suse first and after reinstall of win98,boot using the linux disk and run lilo(or grub).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by bongski55
    I think you have to reinstall win98. Create a linux boot disk from suse first and after reinstall of win98,boot using the linux disk and run lilo(or grub).
    Thanks

    I got it all fixed up a couple of days ago though (I've been fixing it up some).

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Muscat.Oman
    Posts
    262
    I don't think you can use one OS to repair another corrupted OS especially windows.Perhaps if you were able to do otherwise you would be kind enough to post the steps here?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6
    Here's what I did:

    1. Delete all the partitions (they were all way to small; 400-500 megs each)
    2. Create a primary dos partition
    3. Restarted w/ my Windows 98 Recovery CD
    4. Got to the command line
    5. cd'ed til I got to c:\windows\*folder* (i forgot what the folder was called)
    6. typed in: fdisk /status (to test if fdisk was there)
    7. then i typed: format c (to completely reformat my c drive)
    8. restarted w/ my cd in the drive still, and re-installed 98
    9. got to the command line again (before windows loaded)
    10. typed fdisk /mbr (i did this since my bootloading was screwed up)

    and it was fixed. to find the *folder* in step 5, just cd to the main drive (c, d, or whatever), and type fdisk /status, if that doesn't work, just cd x:\windows\, then if that fails, just go through all the folders in windows. (note: x = main drive)

Similar Threads

  1. using knoppix to try to recover windows files
    By richpodraza in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 04:37 AM
  2. Using Knoppix to Recover MAC files?
    By madmike in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
  3. help knoppix trying to recover data
    By bradleyko in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
  4. Messed up windows, need Knoppix to recover.
    By OziD in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-16-2003, 07:20 AM
  5. recover knoppix desktop
    By marlinswin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 04:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles picture

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles

$53.99



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



AC Adapter For Aiper Scuba SE Cordless Robotic Above Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner picture

AC Adapter For Aiper Scuba SE Cordless Robotic Above Ground Pool Vacuum Cleaner

$20.99



MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit picture

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit

$399.00



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67