Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Boot from cd, use entire hdd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Boot from cd, use entire hdd

    Basically the title says it all. I've got a laptop with a 4 gig drive that I want to use with cd boot. I tried the hard drive install, and it used a gig and a half, which is way too much for what I'm trying to do.

    Basically this laptop will be used as a media player, and for transporting media and other large files from place to place. I want to keep as much free space as possible so the hard drive install isn't going to work for me.

    What would be the best way to do this and have knoppix be able to use the entire hard drive as it's own to read&write? I formatted the drive and loaded knoppix up and configured the swap drive as the remainder of the disk. But this didn't seem to me like a good method to acheive what I want.

    Any suggestions? And I'm relatively new to linux so you may need to "dumb down" your answer for me.

    Thanks!

    BR

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    I think all you will need to do is - after booting from the CD - right click on the hard drive icon on the desktop and select "Change Read/Write Mode" so that the hard drive will be mounted as read/write instead of read only.

    I am assuming of course that you have already partitioned and formatted your hard disk to suit your needs.

    Knoppix does by default mount drives as read-only when you click on the icon on the desktop, but you can simply override this by doing what I said in the first paragraph.

    The need for a swap partition is dependant on how much RAM you have. I am guessing that a laptop with only a 4G drive will not have much RAM, so you will probably need to create a swap partition, but this should only be a couple of hundred Megs or so.

    BTW. Hats off to you for coming up with the most efficient way of putting an old laptop to good use. Most people would simply install whatever OS came with it by default and make do with whatever crumbs of space were left over.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8
    I had a 1gig hdd and I couldn't fit all the data. I had to go in and remove stuff. Use 'dpkg --purge <package>' to remove unncessary packages.

    You can also try other media-centric distributions instead of Knoppix. Movix, MythTV, etc. These are pure Linux-based media machines so very small. ~50mb download.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Look at my first post here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11856 and read up to the point where I ask for help booting from USB. I think it will be a good fix for you, and you can set up a persistent home as big as you want it to be.

Similar Threads

  1. Creating a ghost-like image of entire HD on a windows share
    By yoma in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 02:58 PM
  2. Looking to image an entire Windows machine using Knoppix
    By rbasting in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2005, 05:43 AM
  3. Knoppix Live CD-Entire windows system backup to DVD via USB
    By mconzo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Knoppix does not see my entire HD
    By solaris in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-03-2004, 12:36 AM
  5. Any way to mount and chroot a entire hard drive?
    By sk545 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server picture

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server

$525.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Standard DVD English w/ 5 Client Access Licenses picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Standard DVD English w/ 5 Client Access Licenses

$120.00



Windows Server 2025 Standard Edition - 24 Core License picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard Edition - 24 Core License

$238.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w

$238.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95