Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: A lock on some files. No permission.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536

    A lock on some files. No permission.

    When I try to edit my lilo.conf file I cant do it because I don't have permission. I was in it before and now I can't get into it. How do I unlock or give myself permission?

    I tried su from root and it said no server connection. Something about X host. This error message comes up when at root.

    kdesu kwrite lilo.conf

    Error: Check if you have read access to this file. This error comes up when I try it with an editor.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: A lock on some files. No permission.

    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    When I try to edit my lilo.conf file I cant do it because I don't have permission. I was in it before and now I can't get into it. How do I unlock or give myself permission?

    I tried su from root and it said no server connection. Something about X host. This error message comes up when at root.
    Had you taken your error and plugged it into the search field you would have found the answer.

    As user issue:

    Code:
    xhost local:
    Then (as root of course) you need to install sux:
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get install sux
    kdesu kwrite lilo.conf

    Error: Check if you have read access to this file. This error comes up when I try it with an editor.
    You can always use an editor that does not require X windows too like mc or nano.

Similar Threads

  1. Don't have permission to read windows files
    By madscene in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 12:15 AM
  2. lock during install
    By sbratton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM
  3. Lock Desktop !
    By bhavin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
  4. Lock screen does not ask for password
    By Damon in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2003, 11:32 PM
  5. Lock-up after boot?
    By mabhatter in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core I3-540 SLBTD 3.067GHz CPU Processor LGA1156 picture

Intel Core I3-540 SLBTD 3.067GHz CPU Processor LGA1156

$13.00