-
Senior Member
registered user
A lock on some files. No permission.
When I try to edit my lilo.conf file I cant do it because I don't have permission. I was in it before and now I can't get into it. How do I unlock or give myself permission?
I tried su from root and it said no server connection. Something about X host. This error message comes up when at root.
kdesu kwrite lilo.conf
Error: Check if you have read access to this file. This error comes up when I try it with an editor.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: A lock on some files. No permission.

Originally Posted by
rrfish72
When I try to edit my lilo.conf file I cant do it because I don't have permission. I was in it before and now I can't get into it. How do I unlock or give myself permission?
I tried su from root and it said no server connection. Something about X host. This error message comes up when at root.
Had you taken your error and plugged it into the search field you would have found the answer. 
As user issue:
Then (as root of course) you need to install sux:
Code:
apt-get update && apt-get install sux
kdesu kwrite lilo.conf
Error: Check if you have read access to this file. This error comes up when I try it with an editor.
You can always use an editor that does not require X windows too like mc or nano.
Similar Threads
-
By madscene in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-10-2005, 12:15 AM
-
By sbratton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM
-
By bhavin in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 11:16 AM
-
By Damon in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-27-2003, 11:32 PM
-
By mabhatter in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99