-
no sound alerts animated icons or auto usb
knoppix 3.4 v5-17 2004
if i log in as root i get system notifications (audio)
if i enable this under kcontrol for my user (jellyfish) --nothing
so su kuser and gave jellyfish membership to all groups as test and made primary group root
still nothing
next
i think it was on my old mandrake system but when my mouse was in hover state over some icons they would animate
so under kcontrol i enambled animate icons for all
nothing happens how do i turn them on
next only about 1/3 of the time does my usb auto mount work on my external drive ... any ideas
ps not for anyone having problems with nvidia drivers with this version
on all the posts here and elsewere they say include load glx
lowercase
the only way i could get nvidia to load glx was if glx was in upercase
load GLX
in fact i am using the lates nvidia drivers this way only problem is i dont see a module for my 5700 le so im using generic nvidia but seems to work great anyhow
-
Senior Member
registered user
well, for the system sounds notification at least: as user go into kcontrol and in systems sounds choose external player. artsplay works for some folks, for me aplay has worked.
-
you are a genious workedd like a charm on system notifications
now if only my other questions could be answerd by someone
and here is a new one
why is it automount dosnt work
1st my drives appear as scsi 0-....
second they dont automatically mount
the drives under my second eide controller dont show up under hwaarinfo etc...
it just seems funny ive done hd install with knoppix before and never had any (ANY)
issues just seems like this one with the whole gcc and kernel thing and other things seems buggy
hope the next version 3.6 returns to the more classic flawless knoppix ive come to know
-
Senior Member
registered user
no genius here, that was a fix champagnemojo gave me when I was tearing my hair out after trying a kanotix release with alsa. Wish I could help you with the others,
If you post your remaining questions to say the hdinstall forum, someone I am sure will come along to help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Alsa help
This post is for Ms. Cuddles......in reference to ALSA....I think I remember that from my experience with v. 3.3 I dont remember the details, but what is the command to get that to work? I had written it down someplace but forgot. What does ALSA do in relation to SOUND? I forgot! Also I read further down and on another link is a suggestion to use an external player such as ARTSPLAY but I am not sure if I had tried that or not.....But what I would like to know, why does the sound notifications work in v. 3.3 and not the latest [3.4]? Seems buggy and strange.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Alsa help
It's not difficult to get sound events working without using an external player all the time.
See this link.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13366
I hope somebody responds about autofs not working, I have the same problem...about half the time also. Usually if it doesn't work it will after you reboot, sometimes only needing to restartx ('end session only').

Originally Posted by
bob58
What does ALSA do in relation to SOUND? I forgot!
ALSA is the current version of linux kernel sound support...default sound support in 2.6 kernel. It replaces OSS which was the original kernel sound support used up to now.
aRTS is not an alternative to ALSA, it is a sound server, enabling more than one device to use the sound driver. Without it an application will hog the system sound. There is a Gnome equivalent but I forget what it's called.
I read this in a magazine so it must be at least as correct as what the tabloids report about movie stars.
Similar Threads
-
By probono in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-10-2009, 04:54 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:01 PM
-
By wmcn in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:18 AM
-
By maddany in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-16-2003, 02:19 AM
-
By rickenbacherus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

Lot of 10OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 63WH Battery RJ40G M033W - Excellent
$175.00

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$36.99

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576
$26.99

NEW OEM Dell Battery Latitude 5430 7330 Rugged Extreme 53.5Wh 11.4V 06JRCP XVJNP
$99.95

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95