Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: PERMISSION DENIED on java!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124

    PERMISSION DENIED on java!!!

    I don't know what I am doing wrong but everytime I try to install java I got an error: PERMISSION DENIED.
    I did the installation once, but now is not working anymore. This is what I am doing: from root shell I type "chmod a-x 'file name'". Than ./'file name'

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I'm not a chmod expert, so your way may be valid too. But I've always made a file executable by using chmod +x file_name.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    yes I have tryed that too, but it doesn't work!
    I don't know where the problem is.
    Thnak You for any advice!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    This work for me, I download rpm based java installer than I convert it to debian using alien.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    Could You give me more informations on how to do it? How does AlIEN work?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40
    su (enter your password)

    chmod 777 (file name)

    or try apt-get install synaptic

    install synaptic (graphic front end to apt)

    under search filters look for (name and description) java

    willl list a whole bunch of them

    if not in your sources list

    http://www.apt-get.org

    has ton of unofficial apt sources

    have modded my apt so dont remmeber if java came standard but after adding few i have just about every version available to install...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    [quote]:
    apt-get install synaptic

    Unfortunately this is what I got: "E: Package synaptic has no installation candidate"!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    What does your sources.list file look like? You should be able to find synaptic. Have you ever run apt-get update?

    Also, alien is as simple as typing 'alien file_name.rpm' as root. Then you can install using dpkg...or you can add the -i tag and it will do that for you. Not all rpm's will work however.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    93
    In addition, you may want to try this as root:
    Code:
    apt-get install j2re1.4

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    X Champagnemojo:

    Could You tell me how to take a look at sources.file?
    I am doing the apt-get update right now.

    Sorry this is my first step into linux world!
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/fstab permission denied
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 03:54 AM
  2. Permission denied to root
    By relinguin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 01:02 PM
  3. Booting to Knoppix v3.3 gets ... Permission Denied (solved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 01:52 AM
  4. Permission denied on knx-hdinstall
    By djoey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 10:27 PM
  5. permission denied
    By simple in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



ASUS H110M-K/H110M-F Intel H110 LGA1151 DDR3 M-ATX HDMI VGA Desktop Motherboard picture

ASUS H110M-K/H110M-F Intel H110 LGA1151 DDR3 M-ATX HDMI VGA Desktop Motherboard

$70.99