Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: PERMISSION DENIED on java!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124

    PERMISSION DENIED on java!!!

    I don't know what I am doing wrong but everytime I try to install java I got an error: PERMISSION DENIED.
    I did the installation once, but now is not working anymore. This is what I am doing: from root shell I type "chmod a-x 'file name'". Than ./'file name'

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I'm not a chmod expert, so your way may be valid too. But I've always made a file executable by using chmod +x file_name.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    yes I have tryed that too, but it doesn't work!
    I don't know where the problem is.
    Thnak You for any advice!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    This work for me, I download rpm based java installer than I convert it to debian using alien.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    Could You give me more informations on how to do it? How does AlIEN work?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40
    su (enter your password)

    chmod 777 (file name)

    or try apt-get install synaptic

    install synaptic (graphic front end to apt)

    under search filters look for (name and description) java

    willl list a whole bunch of them

    if not in your sources list

    http://www.apt-get.org

    has ton of unofficial apt sources

    have modded my apt so dont remmeber if java came standard but after adding few i have just about every version available to install...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    [quote]:
    apt-get install synaptic

    Unfortunately this is what I got: "E: Package synaptic has no installation candidate"!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    What does your sources.list file look like? You should be able to find synaptic. Have you ever run apt-get update?

    Also, alien is as simple as typing 'alien file_name.rpm' as root. Then you can install using dpkg...or you can add the -i tag and it will do that for you. Not all rpm's will work however.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    93
    In addition, you may want to try this as root:
    Code:
    apt-get install j2re1.4

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    X Champagnemojo:

    Could You tell me how to take a look at sources.file?
    I am doing the apt-get update right now.

    Sorry this is my first step into linux world!
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/fstab permission denied
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 03:54 AM
  2. Permission denied to root
    By relinguin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 01:02 PM
  3. Booting to Knoppix v3.3 gets ... Permission Denied (solved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 01:52 AM
  4. Permission denied on knx-hdinstall
    By djoey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 10:27 PM
  5. permission denied
    By simple in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2002, 05:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$279.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor

$269.99



HP Z4 G4 WORKSTATION | INTEL XEON W-2245 3.9GHZ | 512GB | 16GB | NO OS picture

HP Z4 G4 WORKSTATION | INTEL XEON W-2245 3.9GHZ | 512GB | 16GB | NO OS

$299.99



HP xw8600 2x Intel Xeon 300 GHz 64GB ram 500GB Samsung SSD 4GB Video car G2U picture

HP xw8600 2x Intel Xeon 300 GHz 64GB ram 500GB Samsung SSD 4GB Video car G2U

$135.00



HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$140.00