Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16

    many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?

    I think that knoppix 3.4 is missing (and needs) the
    CUPS printing drivers and functionality that knoppix
    3.3 contained.

    I know of no other reason why my standard EPSON
    printer works on 3.3 but not on 3.4. On 3.3 (live cD,
    no HD), I was able to easily configure and use the
    printer after starting the cupsd daemon. 3.4 does not
    include the required cups driver. I could not get the
    printer working When I tried the foomatic drivers in
    3.4, or even when I copied the ppd file from 3.3 to
    3.4.

    To support my claim that the drivers are MISSING from
    3.4, I see that knoppix 3.3 has 198 cups driver file
    (with ppd.gz extension) in
    /KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model/gimp-print however
    knoppix 3.4 only has 16 uncompressed ppd files in
    /KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model, and no gimp-print
    subdirectory containing compressed ppd files.

    Does anybody know why those files are missing?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    No response yet... anybody's printer working in 3.4 with a cups driver?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    Hello drews,

    I had the same problem with an Epson Stylus Photo 950: gimp-print [recommended] didn't work, but gimp-print-ijs worked fine.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    yes I wish I could say the "foomatic + gimpprint IJS" driver works for me but it doesn't.

    I'm still hoping to get an answer as to why all those CUPS drivers were removed from an update to knoppix...

    Apparently not too many people have printers hooked up to knoppix 3.4, or I'd think we'd hear more complaining...

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilhelmshaven, Germany
    Posts
    11

    same problem with 3.5 and epson stylus color 400

    Hi !

    have the same problem with knoppix 3.5. (linuxtag-DVD installed on HD)
    3.3. worked fine

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    16
    I found the problem - a package called cupsys-driver-gimpprint was installed on knoppix 3.3 but not 3.4 (!). Even though it was on 3.3, it was not listed in the v3.3 packages.txt

    www.kanotix.com/files/fix-cups.sh is a script that tells how to fix this on knoppix > 3.3

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Can anyone please confirm that this bug is still not fixed in all versions including 3.7 "Professional"? I am desperately trying to get my HP LaserJet 6L to work (there was a driver in all versions of Knoppix until 3.3), but no luck.

    Most printer drivers are gone. Help!
    Will they come back? Hopefully so...

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Can anyone please confirm that this bug is still not fixed in all versions including 3.7 "Professional"? I am desperately trying to get my HP LaserJet 6L to work (there was a driver in all versions of Knoppix until 3.3), but no luck.

    Most printer drivers are gone. Help!
    Will they come back? Hopefully so...
    I join your regrets , but for an older HP LaserJet 5L. After lots of tries (including download of PPD files from LinuxPrinting.org), I resigned and simply chose to use it connected to another PC with RedHat 9 installed , where it rocks.
    What worries me more is, my printer is going dead, and I'm scared about what I can buy to replace it (finding a strongly Linux-certified laser printer is somehow an enterprise here in Italy ...).

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    I tried Kanotix, and indeed it doesn't have the problem, there my printer works like it did in Knoppix 3.3.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some recommendations at least concerning brands. I bought a Samsung ML-1750 el cheapo laser and at least on kanotix BH5 it worked right out of the box. Paid a little extra to get a model with PCL6, IBM ProPrinter and Epson printer languages, the cheaper ones had Samsungs own language with which you might get trouble. Although Samsung is one of the manufacturers who make linux drivers.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Printers, USB and otherwise.
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
  2. Knoppix/Linux and printers
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
  3. To many printers
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
  5. Knoppix broke my computer...
    By lnxusr in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Computer Manuals and Disks - Windows 3.1, Epson, Quicken, and more picture

Vintage Computer Manuals and Disks - Windows 3.1, Epson, Quicken, and more

$101.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras picture

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras

$124.99



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Nice White Ceramic NEC 8080A Microprocessor / Old Vintage Computer Gold IC Chip picture

Nice White Ceramic NEC 8080A Microprocessor / Old Vintage Computer Gold IC Chip

$399.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37