No response yet... anybody's printer working in 3.4 with a cups driver?
I think that knoppix 3.4 is missing (and needs) the
CUPS printing drivers and functionality that knoppix
3.3 contained.
I know of no other reason why my standard EPSON
printer works on 3.3 but not on 3.4. On 3.3 (live cD,
no HD), I was able to easily configure and use the
printer after starting the cupsd daemon. 3.4 does not
include the required cups driver. I could not get the
printer working When I tried the foomatic drivers in
3.4, or even when I copied the ppd file from 3.3 to
3.4.
To support my claim that the drivers are MISSING from
3.4, I see that knoppix 3.3 has 198 cups driver file
(with ppd.gz extension) in
/KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model/gimp-print however
knoppix 3.4 only has 16 uncompressed ppd files in
/KNOPPIX/usr/share/cups/model, and no gimp-print
subdirectory containing compressed ppd files.
Does anybody know why those files are missing?
No response yet... anybody's printer working in 3.4 with a cups driver?
Hello drews,
I had the same problem with an Epson Stylus Photo 950: gimp-print [recommended] didn't work, but gimp-print-ijs worked fine.
yes I wish I could say the "foomatic + gimpprint IJS" driver works for me but it doesn't.
I'm still hoping to get an answer as to why all those CUPS drivers were removed from an update to knoppix...
Apparently not too many people have printers hooked up to knoppix 3.4, or I'd think we'd hear more complaining...
Hi !
have the same problem with knoppix 3.5. (linuxtag-DVD installed on HD)
3.3. worked fine
I found the problem - a package called cupsys-driver-gimpprint was installed on knoppix 3.3 but not 3.4 (!). Even though it was on 3.3, it was not listed in the v3.3 packages.txt
www.kanotix.com/files/fix-cups.sh is a script that tells how to fix this on knoppix > 3.3
Can anyone please confirm that this bug is still not fixed in all versions including 3.7 "Professional"? I am desperately trying to get my HP LaserJet 6L to work (there was a driver in all versions of Knoppix until 3.3), but no luck.
Most printer drivers are gone. Help!
Will they come back? Hopefully so...
I join your regretsOriginally Posted by probono
, but for an older HP LaserJet 5L. After lots of tries (including download of PPD files from LinuxPrinting.org), I resigned and simply chose to use it connected to another PC with RedHat 9 installed
, where it rocks.
What worries me more is, my printer is going dead, and I'm scared about what I can buy to replace it (finding a strongly Linux-certified laser printer is somehow an enterprise here in Italy...).
I tried Kanotix, and indeed it doesn't have the problem, there my printer works like it did in Knoppix 3.3.
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some recommendations at least concerning brands. I bought a Samsung ML-1750 el cheapo laser and at least on kanotix BH5 it worked right out of the box. Paid a little extra to get a model with PCL6, IBM ProPrinter and Epson printer languages, the cheaper ones had Samsungs own language with which you might get trouble. Although Samsung is one of the manufacturers who make linux drivers.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00
ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99