-
Junior Member
registered user
Still broke in 3.6
I put a query somewhere in the forum last week regarding my Epson C70 on Kx3.6, having just changed from 3.3 - can't find it now - no reply anyway - now at least I know what the problem is - whoever put the sticky bit on this thread, thank you - It did not come back on a query on printer problems, last week.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Markus
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some recommendations at least concerning brands. I bought a Samsung ML-1750 el cheapo laser and at least on kanotix BH5 it worked right out of the box. Paid a little extra to get a model with PCL6, IBM ProPrinter and Epson printer languages, the cheaper ones had Samsungs own language with which you might get trouble. Although Samsung is one of the manufacturers who make linux drivers.
Yeah, I read that. It's a fact that comments about printers made by users don't always agree with site's suggestions. I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD.
-

Originally Posted by
HomerCube
I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD.
I just tested it with Knoppix 3.7 and it worked just fine with ParPort, CUPS and Foomatic/hpijs driver with both 300x300 and 600x600 DPI, IOW the same setup I use with my hd installed Kanotix.
As a sidenote, it doesn't seem to work with the recommended pxlmono driver.
-
Senior Member
registered user
probono: can't you install the driver from the 3.3 distro with the 3.6 (or 3.7) distro?
-
Junior Member
registered user
HI. I am working with Knoppix 3.6, HD install. I installed my printer, an Epson stylus color 670, within CUPS. At this point I got no errors, so I suppose that all is OK. The printer is connected via an USB port.
But when I try to print... NO NOTHING outputs from the printer, even the test page. A message says that the page was printed successfully, but really the printer does nothing - it even does not try to load the sheet
What I am doing wrong?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nic MFP: Perhaps everything is sitting in a printer-queue, and when set up correctly, you get document over document, months old 
Is the cups-server running?
If not, start 'em:
If yes, go to the web-configuration:
Code:
http://localhost:631/
Browse a little...
-
Junior Member
registered user
Nothing to do: it does not work
CUPSD is running, as expected. But trying http://localhost:631 gives the following error:
Code:
internal error - server connection terminated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description: internal error - server connection terminated
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moreover, there must be something else wrong, because if I try to launch any Epson tool (like the head cleaning job, the ink level meter, and so on) I get the following error message:
Code:
The executable escputil was not found in your PATH.
Make sure that gimp-print is correctly installed and that escputil is in your PATH
By the way, while reinstalling for the n-th time the printer, I tried out all of the available drivers. No one works, but one of them, only one, if I press the "Test driver" button, makes the printer to load and immediately eject a sheet. The printer still does not attempt to print anything.
And that's all, because if I choose the "Test printer" command, even with this driver, no nothing happens.
Any other ideas?
-
Have you installed cupsys-driver-gimpprint, cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data, ijsgimpprint and libgimpprint1?
-
Junior Member
registered user
I suppose yes, because I performed a normal Knoppix HD install.
-
Well, you can check with: COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep gimpprint
If they're not installed do:
dselect update
apt-get install cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data ijsgimpprint libgimpprint1 -s (remove -s for simulation if it looks ok)
Similar Threads
-
By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
-
By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
-
By dave52355 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
-
By lnxusr in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

ASUS ProArt PX13 13" 3K OLED 2-in-1 (Ryzen AI 9 HX 370, 32GB/1TB SSD, RTX 4050)
$1249.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$349.48