Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Midlands
    Posts
    11

    Still broke in 3.6

    I put a query somewhere in the forum last week regarding my Epson C70 on Kx3.6, having just changed from 3.3 - can't find it now - no reply anyway - now at least I know what the problem is - whoever put the sticky bit on this thread, thank you - It did not come back on a query on printer problems, last week.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html has some recommendations at least concerning brands. I bought a Samsung ML-1750 el cheapo laser and at least on kanotix BH5 it worked right out of the box. Paid a little extra to get a model with PCL6, IBM ProPrinter and Epson printer languages, the cheaper ones had Samsungs own language with which you might get trouble. Although Samsung is one of the manufacturers who make linux drivers.
    Yeah, I read that. It's a fact that comments about printers made by users don't always agree with site's suggestions. I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerCube
    I'd like to buy a Samsung ML-1750, too, but only if I'm 100% sure it will work, because I know resellers will surely reject to retire that if my only trouble is "it doesn't work with Linux", and they won't give me warranties for it to work before I buy as well, nor they will let me have some tests with a Knoppix CD.
    I just tested it with Knoppix 3.7 and it worked just fine with ParPort, CUPS and Foomatic/hpijs driver with both 300x300 and 600x600 DPI, IOW the same setup I use with my hd installed Kanotix.
    As a sidenote, it doesn't seem to work with the recommended pxlmono driver.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    probono: can't you install the driver from the 3.3 distro with the 3.6 (or 3.7) distro?

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Torino, Italy
    Posts
    19
    HI. I am working with Knoppix 3.6, HD install. I installed my printer, an Epson stylus color 670, within CUPS. At this point I got no errors, so I suppose that all is OK. The printer is connected via an USB port.

    But when I try to print... NO NOTHING outputs from the printer, even the test page. A message says that the page was printed successfully, but really the printer does nothing - it even does not try to load the sheet

    What I am doing wrong?

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    Nic MFP: Perhaps everything is sitting in a printer-queue, and when set up correctly, you get document over document, months old

    Is the cups-server running?
    Code:
    ps -C cupsd
    If not, start 'em:
    Code:
    cupsd
    If yes, go to the web-configuration:

    Code:
    http://localhost:631/
    Browse a little...

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Torino, Italy
    Posts
    19
    Nothing to do: it does not work

    CUPSD is running, as expected. But trying http://localhost:631 gives the following error:
    Code:
    internal error - server connection terminated
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Description: internal error - server connection terminated 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moreover, there must be something else wrong, because if I try to launch any Epson tool (like the head cleaning job, the ink level meter, and so on) I get the following error message:
    Code:
    The executable escputil was not found in your PATH.
    Make sure that gimp-print is correctly installed and that escputil is in your PATH
    By the way, while reinstalling for the n-th time the printer, I tried out all of the available drivers. No one works, but one of them, only one, if I press the "Test driver" button, makes the printer to load and immediately eject a sheet. The printer still does not attempt to print anything.

    And that's all, because if I choose the "Test printer" command, even with this driver, no nothing happens.

    Any other ideas?

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Have you installed cupsys-driver-gimpprint, cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data, ijsgimpprint and libgimpprint1?

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Torino, Italy
    Posts
    19
    I suppose yes, because I performed a normal Knoppix HD install.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, you can check with: COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l|grep gimpprint
    If they're not installed do:
    dselect update
    apt-get install cupsys-driver-gimpprint cupsys-driver-gimpprint-data ijsgimpprint libgimpprint1 -s (remove -s for simulation if it looks ok)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Printers, USB and otherwise.
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
  2. Knoppix/Linux and printers
    By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
  3. To many printers
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
  5. Knoppix broke my computer...
    By lnxusr in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



2U AI MINING SERVER 2x Xeon 36 cores 2.3Ghz DDR4 2x NVIDIA V100 GPU PCIe 2PS USA picture

2U AI MINING SERVER 2x Xeon 36 cores 2.3Ghz DDR4 2x NVIDIA V100 GPU PCIe 2PS USA

$799.00



Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY. picture

Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY.

$49.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99