-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Nic MFP
By the way, i'll never give up trying... there MUST be a way to get my printer working.
Printers are badly broken in 3.4 & 3.6. Like you I did an HD install from Knoppix 3.6. Then reverted to 3.3 when I could not get the printer to work. I downloaded the "fix-cups.sh" script referred to earlier in this thread and tried again. The script is a simple remove and re-install cupsys, but with the emphasis on gimpprint driver on the reinstall. It removed the broken cupsys OK, but failed on the re-install because I needed to run "apt-get update" first (took about 45 mins on a dial-up). I then ran the re-install scriptline manually (by the way, this is all as "root") in a terminal window (about 12 mins on a dial-up). As it progressed, it recommended some other packages, and I went back afterwards and installed the "gimpprint-docs" and "gimpprint-locales" as well. My Epson C70 has now installed perfectly using the gimpprint driver (it has a suffix which I think is 4.2.7 [I'm not on that machine at the moment]).
Basically you have to remove the cupsys that loads from 3.6 and replace it with the latest package from Debian, not just upgrade it.
As an aside, I'm a fan of the KDE twin-panel file manager Krusader, that does not come with Knoppix. Having seen the ease with which "apt-get" installed this, after reloading cupsys, I am now a convert to Debian (from SuSE) and am busily converting others to Knoppix. The niggles like broken printers are a pain, but the ease of install and the wealth of open-source software that comes with it has prompted some incredulous "it can't be that easy" responses. Roll on Knoppix64!
Similar Threads
-
By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM
-
By kayl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:59 PM
-
By dave52355 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-11-2003, 03:05 AM
-
By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:47 PM
-
By lnxusr in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

4 Gb PC3L-12800R-11-13-A1 Memory Module
$79.50

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00

LOT 10: Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$1749.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98