I had same problem but I entered into 2.6 version, logged in as root and had all permissions.
Try to see if it helps.
I have got no write permissions for /usr/local/bin directory and whenever I try any new installation it fails.
I have tried chmod and all related command but couldn't get arount so please help me in gaining RW access to this directory.
I had same problem but I entered into 2.6 version, logged in as root and had all permissions.
Try to see if it helps.
well, The system fails to login as root.
I have to get the solution within 2 days otherwise my organisation will have to leave the linux idea and go back to windows again that I strongly object. Kindly get me out of this trouble.
You do NOT need to log in as root! Never log in as root. Open a terminal and get root there with su.Originally Posted by yadwin
su
<password>
Then you can install whatever you want. What are you trying to install BTW?
Well that I did I got into the root. But again the same problem occurs. Whenever I try to change the permission the system displays
Cannt write to /usr/local/bin directory - read only file system.
I am trying to install Mgetty (Fax and Caller ID System.) and also I have asked my organisation to adopt linux and throw away windows as I work as System administrator.
Sorry if the question is obvious, but do you run a hd install? Otherwise running from the cd it's bound to be read-only.
Yes, this is problem is most biggest one. Since I want to something that is modify any configuration files, I can not save whatever I 'v login as su or not. I am suggest that only one different is Run-On-CD.
I have come across many guys who just abondened knoppix due to this trouble they say if u cant install a new program and cant save whatever you have done then what is the need to keep a a os on CD. And if the only solution is installing it on to the HDD then why not some bigger version like Redhat or Mandarke.
And I think we must device some solution like what if it stores all the files on to the HDD during Shutdown and then again retrievs them to ram during the next run. the whole trouble will be solved
And I think this may not be a very troublesome solution.
There's still lots of pros for a linux live-CD like Knoppix.
It's basically virus/trojan proof, reboot and all possible vermins are gone, not that they exist that much within linux.
You can boot up a computer which has a corrupted OS or no HD.
I haven't done this but you can create a persistent home by clicking the penguin icon, trace up to 'Configure', click 'Create persistent home directory'.
Then at boot use the one of the cheatcodes:
myconf=/dev/sda1 (this is for usb, replace if needed with the device/partition where you have the persistent home)
myconf=scan (to use automagic scan for the location)
After creating the home you can use klik to install software: http://klik.berlios.de/
There's a lenghty thread about it in: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7680
Ever used an rpm based distro? rpm is a terrible package manager IMHO. Many dependency problems. Also Mandrake is the slowest moving Linux I've ever seen in my life. Personally I would never use it.Originally Posted by yadwin
I guess I don't understand what the point of a live cd is if you want to install things to the hdd. Why not just put an OS on the hard drive then? You are aware that it is completely possible to create your own live cd?And I think we must device some solution like what if it stores all the files on to the HDD during Shutdown and then again retrievs them to ram during the next run. the whole trouble will be solved
And I think this may not be a very troublesome solution.

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core Processor with Radeon
$385.00
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00
Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS
$199.99
(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
Apple MacBook Pro 13" M1 8-Core GPU 16GB RAM 256GB SSD 2020 Space Gray • Good
$499.00
Dell OptiPlex 3080 MT Intel Core i5-10500 3.10 GHz 8 GB DDR4 Desktop No HDD
$129.99
Dell Precision 7530 Laptop Intel Core i7 8th Gen 32GB RAM 512GB NVMe Win 11 Pro
$249.99