A few weeks ago an upgrade of Mozilla to 1.7 forced me to install this damnable xprint because Mozilla will not use any print server but this stupid thing. After more than a month the only things I can say about this piece of garbage are unsuitable for a family forum. There is a known "feature" of this crappola that it often will only use a quarter of a page unless of course you are in the standard locale of a peruvian monastery printing on default size papyrus. OK, I am in the little known USA using the even rarer 8.5 by 11 inch paper. I already changed mozz' paper size to 215x279mm but now have to fix the default printing dpi. The garbage's faq states:

Q:
"Printing itself works but the printout covers only 1/4 of the paper - what am I doing wrong ?"
A:
This is usually an indicator for a wrong DPI setting. The default "PSdefault" model config uses 300 DPI but some printers only support 600 DPI.

Workaround: Edit ${XPCONFIGDIR}/C/print/attributes/document and replace the line "*default-printer-resolution: 300" with "*default-printer-resolution: 600" (Note that locale-specific settings in ${XPCONFIGDIR}/${LANG}/print/attributes/document always override values set in ${XPCONFIGDIR}/C/print/attributes/document.)

Solution: Create a model-config for your printer which only contains attributes supported by your printer ("printer-resolutions-supported" is the attribute in the "model-config" which holds the space-seperated list of DPI values which are supported by the printer).


On a debian-based distro such as ours, where oh where is this configuration file where I am to change the default dpi? I have spent weeks on this and have to give up and either attempt to rollback Mozilla to where it can use cups again or switch to Knoqueror, which isn't a bad browser but it isn't my mozz