Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Problems with CDROM

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35

    Problems with CDROM

    Hi,

    I am using 3.4 HDDinstall. I compiled a kernel per Kelmo's technique to get my NVidia drivers working. I have been able to use K3B to burn many many CDs.

    Today when I tried to read a data cd, I can't. Knoppix says it doesn't exist. I searced and searched this forum but found no solution that would work. Physicaly, My machine has one HDD on the first IDE plug and then my CDRW and CDROM are on the second plug/cable as Master and slave. I'd really appreciate some help with this. Here's my fstab;


    Thanks,
    Jim

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I'm not sure what type of your cdrw and cdrom. Some cdrw are treated as scsi eventhough they are ide.I considered your cdrw as cdrom1 and cdrom as cdrom2.
    First you should remove the cdrom symlink in your mnt directory and create to folder:
    1)cdrom1
    2)cdrom2

    Then edit your fstab...it should be like this:
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    [b]/dev/sr0 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom2 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    Then create new device on your desktop, device that link to cdrom1 and device that link to cdrom2.
    You can experiment with sr0 or cdrom.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sr0 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom2 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,auto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda6 none swap defaults 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0

    Then create new device on your desktop, device that link to cdrom1 and device that link to cdrom2.
    You can experiment with sr0 or cdrom.

    Sorry..i'm not goog with this html code.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    What did you append to the kernel cmd line? ie in append="?" in lilo.conf

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35
    Hi Kelmo,
    Here is the whole section that boots the kernel I use;

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6
    label="Linux(2.6)-2"
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.6
    append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce"
    read-only

    Is there something wrong with this? It wa auto generated. I didn't change anything.

    Jim

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35
    Shah,
    I tried your solution. In both cases I got 'Could not mount device. The error reported was: Mount: mount point iso9660 does not exist'

    I then opened a console and entered 'mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom1' and that worked. The CD was mounted read-only (as expected) and I was able to access it.

    Is there a way to automate this?

    Jim

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    MillTek

    You can try using autofs.
    1) Open console & SU
    2)run this command :
    cd
    mkdir /mnt/floppy
    mkdir /mnt/cdrom (you can skip this two if the directiory is there)
    mv /etc/auto.master /etc/auto.master_old
    mv /etc/auto.floppy /etc/auto.floppy_old
    mv /etc/auto.cdrom /etc/auto.cdrom_old
    echo "/mnt/cdrom /etc/auto.cdrom --timeout 10" > /etc/auto.master
    echo "/mnt/floppy /etc/auto.floppy --timeout 1" >> /etc/auto.master
    echo "floppy -user,suid,fstype=msdos :/dev/fd0" > /etc/auto.floppy
    echo "cdrom -fstype=iso9660,ro :/dev/sr0" > /etc/auto.cdrom
    ln -s /mnt/floppy/floppy floppy
    ln -s /mnt/cdrom/cdrom cdrom
    /etc/init.d/autofs start (or restart)
    cd

    3)insert cd and try this command : ls /mnt/cdrom/cdrom
    if it can read your cd...you're okay.

    4)you need to edit your fstab...delete or comment out /dev/sr0....

    5)you also need to run sysV-init editor and add autofs in runlevel5(start) so it can run on boot, add autofs in runlevel6(stop) so it can stop when you shutdown.

    6)reboot.

    Check if you can read directory /mnt/cdrom/cdrom using konquerer.
    Let me know if it can be done on your machine.

    Good luck

    Thanks to Mark Nielsen for his tutorial.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Most likely these would work in your fstab:

    /dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/sr1 /cdrom1 iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

    And if you're trying to mount using the desktop icons, you'll need to create new ones after altering your fstab.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    35
    Hi Shah & Champagnemojo,

    Champagnemojo, the two fstab entries you suggested work after I do a mount in a Konsole.

    Shah, I'd like to try your suggestion for autmounting. I've read it and think I follow, except I don't know what sysV-init editor is? Any direction?

    Also, if Kelmo reads this, did I give you the information you requested? Should I change something??

    Thanks all,
    Jim

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    40
    had same troubles with laptop and home system

    after using synaptic (graphic front end to apt)
    apt-get install synaptic

    i did a find with criteria (name and description) mount

    found discover and installed it
    during config it asked if it wanted me to handle the cdroms i gave it a go
    and bam fixed all my cdrom problems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 3.6 cdrom problems
    By tonysathre in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 11:23 PM
  2. Problems Ejecting CDROM
    By Knopper12 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:31 AM
  3. Cdrom and USB problems
    By piki in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 05:21 PM
  4. problems with cdrom and floppy dev
    By budhead in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 05:34 PM
  5. Problems when mounting cdrom...
    By pau in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.55



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99