I mean, I remastered KNOPPIX 3.4 by doing apt-get -t unstable upgrade and dist-upgrade to the KNOPPIX 3.4 source directory. I wanted to get the newest stuff.Originally Posted by RemasteringNoob
I've just remastered a KNOPPIX 3.4 CD that I had upgraded to the latest unstable packages. When I try to boot from the CD, the X server starts up and I can see the KNOPPIX background but it instantly exits and returns to the shell prompt. When I run startx, the result is the same. The shell prompt shows the error message: "X-Window session terminated with errors. Please check and retry /etc/init.d/xsession start."![]()
I mean, I remastered KNOPPIX 3.4 by doing apt-get -t unstable upgrade and dist-upgrade to the KNOPPIX 3.4 source directory. I wanted to get the newest stuff.Originally Posted by RemasteringNoob
Sounds like you installed new versions of very important configuration scripts when you did your upgrade ...
kelmo is probably right, you have probably upgraded Knoppix configuration scripts out of existance. Now, what to do about it?Originally Posted by RemasteringNoob
1) Re-install & upgrade more conservatively?
2) Try to figure out which config scripts are causing problems & renew them from the original CD?
Can you boot your remaster while still installed on the CD? ie is it a true HD install? or just a copy to chroot into? If you can boot into it, does it run OK? Maybe you can track down the problem script this way.
I realize this is not much help. Sorry. I've burned myself a couple of times with 'apt-get upgrade' & 'dist-upgrade', now I only upgrade bits & pieces as need arises.
My remaster ISO sits in /dev/hda1/knoppix.iso and I boot knoppix from the CD using: knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso. I guess I'll have to do #2 above. Some script that startx or xinit calls is causing the X server to go away quickly. When I run the X server by itself (type X :0), it runs and it stays running.
hi,
do you mean :
"knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso "
that you can boot as if you had a virtual_cd_reader ?
That sounds interesting ,since I looked around for booting off
a "loopback_file" and never got answer.
Where do you find that ?
Maybe ~/.xsession-errors will tell you something but ATM I'm not even sure if that file is there or not.Originally Posted by RemasteringNoob
![]()
hi RemasterinNoob,Originally Posted by RemasteringNoob
I misundertood you (reason : the extension iso ).In fact ,your
"bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix.iso" means your intention is to tell the booting process that your KNOPPIX_image is lying on hdd_hda1.If you read linuxrc (inside miniroot.gz or similar ramdisk_stuff)there is one line
case "$CMDLINE" in *fromhd=/dev/*) DEVICES="$fromhd" ; ;; esac
this means,if your original intention was as stated,you have to put instead-on cmdline
fromhd=/dev/hda1 only to say your image is sitting on hda1
and of course you need to have a directory named KNOPPIX,and containg a big file KNOPPIX
Yes, I got it from the Cheat SheetOriginally Posted by wangji
.
oh,you just miss me,look at my post jul 22 just before yours !Originally Posted by RemasteringNoob

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95
NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00
For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$354.48
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00
DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)
$399.95