Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Newbie: Source / Kernel recompiling ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2

    Newbie: Source / Kernel recompiling ?

    Hi there. I'm a newbie. I've read a bit, but I'm still coming back to this question.

    I'm needing to patch my orinoco drivers so I can get kismet going, but to do that, from what I have read, I need to recompile my kernel.

    I've got a HDD install of knoppix going- how / can i download the kernel source so I can then recompile it - or do I even have to do that?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Newbie: Source / Kernel recompiling ?

    Quote Originally Posted by quantum-x
    Hi there. I'm a newbie. I've read a bit, but I'm still coming back to this question.

    I'm needing to patch my orinoco drivers so I can get kismet going, but to do that, from what I have read, I need to recompile my kernel.

    I've got a HDD install of knoppix going- how / can i download the kernel source so I can then recompile it - or do I even have to do that?

    Thanks!
    http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2949

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6
    Try my detailed but ez howto:

    http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I don't know wether this will work but you can try. The compiling procedure is much similar to compiling kernel to be used by nvidia driver. This is what I copy from naventus:
    su
    cd /usr/src (you need to start here. I had problems because I started in root)
    wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne...-2.6.6.tar.bz2
    cp linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 /usr/src
    tar jxvf linux-2.6.6.tar.bz2 (check to see if these files have been put into /usr/src)
    rm -f linux
    ln -s linux-2.6.6 linux
    cp /boot/config-2.6.6 linux/.config
    cd linux/include
    ln -s asm-i386 asm
    cd .. (again, check to see if linux-2.6.6 is in the folder usr)
    make oldconfig
    patch -p1 <../knoppix-kernel26.patch
    patch -p1 <./orinoco.patch (whatever it call)
    cd /usr/bin
    rm -f gcc (the kernel image was compiled with gcc-2.95 but symlink is to gcc-3.3)
    ln -s gcc-2.95 gcc
    cd /usr/src
    make (this will compile your kernel, will take sometime to finish- on my 2.4 around 1 hour)

    Good luck on compiling.

Similar Threads

  1. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  2. Remastering and recompiling kernel knoppix 3.4
    By fester in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 04:15 AM
  3. recompiling knoppix kernel
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 04:53 AM
  4. Recompiling Custom Kernel - Lots of problems....
    By toltech in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 10:52 PM
  5. custom kernel, debian source vs kernel.org source
    By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS picture

Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS

$50.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$599.99



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY picture

Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY

$20.00



Vintage Cardinal Technologies Tseng Labs ET4000AX ISA VGA Card 1MB DRAM 16-bit picture

Vintage Cardinal Technologies Tseng Labs ET4000AX ISA VGA Card 1MB DRAM 16-bit

$76.99



Vintage Retro Beige ATX Sleeper PC Desktop Computer Case Good Condition picture

Vintage Retro Beige ATX Sleeper PC Desktop Computer Case Good Condition

$199.99



Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture

Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac

$11.75



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards

$57.59



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00