Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Attaching midi keyboard/synthesizer

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67

    Attaching midi keyboard/synthesizer

    I have a Yamaha SY77 synthesizer which I would like to access via Midi on Knoppix but I can't figure out how to get Linux/Knoppix to see it as a device nor sort out which program(s) can read/transmit midi data to/from the SY77.
    It is connected to the computer via a RS232/Midi adapter on the computer's COM2: port.
    I've tried a couple of program on the Knoppix distribution but they don't "see" the SY77.
    Rosegarden's Midi setup has the device set to /dev/sequencer and there seems to be no way to change it - even if I knew what to change it to.
    I've also downloaded a couple of sequencing programs but they don't see the keyboard either. One of them complains that it can't find /dev/snd/seq.

    Can someone help me get this working please?
    What I was hoping to do eventually was to convert a C program I wrote for my Amiga which can aid in the editing of voices. If I can find a program which actually "sees" the SY77 I can probably then figure out how to convert my own program.

    Best Wishes
    Pete

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    did you google for 'yamaha SY77 linux'?

    nothing helpful?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    did you google for 'yamaha SY77 linux'?
    nothing helpful?
    Yeah, and I tried all sorts of other variations too. In the end I broke down and bought a $25 (Canadian) cabler to hook the synth to my SoundBlaster card's midi/gameport.
    I still can't get the midi to work on Knoppix though.
    I've booted up dyne:bolic and have been able to get it to work with some of the programs on that release, including SoundTracker.

    Best Wishes
    Pete

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix & MIDI
    By rsq1963 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
  2. Thermal Sensors: attaching techniques
    By jjmac in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 11:34 AM
  3. Problems sending/attaching files in email using Linux
    By francisgirard in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
  4. X-terminal attaching to an existing session ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:19 AM
  5. SBLive Value: No MIDI
    By skryche in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



Timetec 64GB KIT(2x32GB) Compatible for Apple DDR4 2666MHz picture

Timetec 64GB KIT(2x32GB) Compatible for Apple DDR4 2666MHz

$249.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



Lot Of 50 16GB DDR4 2666V RAM DIMM Desktop Memory Samsung Ramaxel Tested Working picture

Lot Of 50 16GB DDR4 2666V RAM DIMM Desktop Memory Samsung Ramaxel Tested Working

$3199.99



Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory picture

Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory

$669.00



LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL) picture

LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL)

$345.00