-
noob: monitor refresh and filesystem
Hi there,
a few startup problems from a linux noob who is playing around with Knoppix 3.4
What I would like to know is this:
- how to change the resolution of my monitor, (Iiyama HM703 Vision Master Pro413)
I have also run the OverClockix cd (with kernel2.6) to see if this would help me, and I found therein a list of supported monitors. Mine is not in it, probably the reason for it blinking so much; it's now working at 60Hz and that is not much fun. I have found on the internet somewhere (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/198749) that I could use the command: ddcxinfo-knoppix -monitor to find out what my monitor is capable of. The solution would supposedly be to paste that info into the existing file: /etc/X11/Xf86Config-4.
I'm pretty sure though that I will do that wrong, so is there a different (ie less chance of screwing things up) way?
next issue:
- I cannot enter my hard drive:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
/dev/hde1: Input/output error
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
It is a Raid 0 combination of two Maxtor hard drives connected to an onboard raid controller of the brand Silicon Image, which is nicely detected at bootup. On the drives are 3 partitions filled with my current os: windows xp. Reading through this forum I learned that ntfs is detected and can be read on virtually all machines, but sofar just not mine. When running with Overclockix I got a little different error message when trying to mount the harddrive:
cannot read superblock ( whatever that may be ).
When reading the first error message, the one from Knoppix3.4, I am guessing towards the idea that I should somehow specify the filesystem. Now I know that that should be done in the file fstab, but I'm not sure I'm supposed to be touching that.
Perhaps this info helps:
motherboard is a NVIDIA Nforce2 A7N8XE
If needed, I can post the lspci -v output, but I will refrain from doing that for now, it will make this post a bit long 
Thanks in advance,
William
Similar Threads
-
By Cooner750 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-03-2005, 02:04 PM
-
By ZeroKun in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-05-2004, 04:54 PM
-
By colin stewart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 04:16 AM
-
By comanam in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
-
By pnti in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vaquform DT2 - Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine
$800.00

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Multifunctional Handheld Vacuum Cleaner & Blower for Keyboard/PC US SELLER
$39.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67

Trucozie Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Self-Standing Lightweight Stick Vacuum New Ope
$89.00