I have completed (now several) HD installs from the Knoppix CD. Nice clean install, but I continue to have this problem with both of my laptops which use a Lucent Orinoco pcmcia wireless NIC card:
When Linux boots, the sequence appears to successfully find the card, configures it, (the LEDS light) and moves on to other tasks - then the card manger tries to restart the PCMCIA slots, runs something "pump" then crashes the card and shuts the PCMCIA slots down. It is almost as if it tries to configure the card twice - the first try works perfect, but the second try hoses it and then shuts it down.
I've learned that if I remove the card during this sequence and plug it in right before the "second" try during the sequence above...it works.
I have looked through some of the /etc/init.d and .conf files and cannot find any entry that would appear to load the pcmcia twice.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this? Or maybe where I went wrong in installing this?
The details:
Knoppix 3.4 CD (after an HD install), Kernel 2.4
on both a Panasonic CF-37 and CF-72 laptop
Lucent Orinoco pcmcia network cards
Thanks,
Eric

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE
$189.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99