Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: HD Install no auto network start

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5

    HD Install no auto network start

    Hello,

    I am really new to Knoppix and Debian distros in general. Maybe this is a really stupid question but is there a way to make the network card to configure itself and have samba start when the OS starts? Is it normal for them to not automatically start if they have already been configured? Each time I start the operating system I have to go through the network card configuration wizard, all the settings are already in the boxes so all I have to do is go through and hit OK, but it is still annoying. Is there a program that allows you to select which services and daemons are started when the operating system starts?

    Info:

    Wired ethernet network
    Knoppix 3.4 HD installed (multiuser)
    Dell PowerEdge 2400

    Stephen

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    What do you do to get networking up and running? Perhaps you can just add something to the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh. Try booting up then issue pump and see if that gets networking started for you. If so add pump to the end of /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh.

    All services that run on startup are located in /etc/init.d. To have apache run on boot for example do:

    update-rc.d apache defaults

    To stop a service:

    update-rc.d -f apache remove

    Note that this does not remove apache but rather the symlinks in the run levels so that apache does not start. There is something in the Kcontrolcenterwhateverthehellitscalled thing for sys-v-init but I thought it rather confusing personally.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thank you for responding,

    Right now what I do is run the 'network card configuration' and all the correct values come up already in the textboxes where it asks me for the ip addresses. For samba I open a terminal session and I type in /etc/init.d/samba start and that does what I need. So what would I need to do to make automatically come up?

    Is it normal for this to happen, or does everyone else just find a way to deal with it?

    Stephen

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You need sysV-init editor. Read my post here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ghlight=nvidia
    you'll get the idea.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ok, I got the concept. Thank you for showing me that. Now I just have to know one thing, how do I get the network configured and up with that? I got samba to come up, I just need to know what to drag into the box to get it to bring it up.

    Thank you,
    Stephen

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5
    Duh,

    Sorry about that, networking, how dumb could I be.

    Stephen

Similar Threads

  1. Samba Client - Does it "Auto Start"?
    By ELeahi in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 09:40 AM
  2. Turn off Auto Network Configuration
    By techdesk in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 09:35 AM
  3. Network don't start auto
    By lkornowski2 in forum Networking
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 11:50 PM
  4. I must start nvnet manually. why not auto???
    By mnomn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 07:43 PM
  5. auto start samba?
    By InstallScript in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2003, 10:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95