Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: NTFS mounting problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    NTFS mounting problem

    First of all; I really tried hard reading all the FAQS and previous topics, but couldnt find my situation..

    Suddenly my winXP config broke down, just out of the blue. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get it up and running, while some really important files are on that partition!
    That's where I thought of knoppix. Downloaded 3.4 and got it running from CD. Since I am a complete newbie I couldn't find any of my data.

    I learned in forums like these that I had to give this command:

    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /tmp/hd (after I mkdir'ed /tmp/hd).
    So I did, with this reply:

    wrong fs type, bad option, ad superblock on /dev/hda1, or too many mounted file systems (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use ide-scsi so that SR0 or SDA or so is needed?)

    What does it mean? Is there ANY way to get to my data? Help plz!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Captive is only needed if you want to write on a ntfs partition, for reading you can just click the desktop icon or do from a console mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    If you need write support post back, but if all you need is to get to the data normal mounting will do.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Markus, thanx for your reply.

    I did try that earlier, but without success: it tells me that I have to "specify the filesystem type".

    My harddisk is a 120Gb Sata disk; can that be a problem?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Btw,

    in my desktop I only see the floppy and cd-rom drive listed.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I think you'll get better SATA support with the 2.6 kernel, so boot with knoppix26 instead of knoppix at the boot: prompt.
    The lack of SATA support in the 2.4 kernel could also explain the missing desktop icon.

    All the partitions knoppix finds at boot are listed in /etc/fstab , you could look and post the line for your ntfs partition.
    It should look something like: /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting a Raided NTFS Partition.
    By sd5867 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 07:33 AM
  2. mounting to NTFS
    By Li'l Roberto in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:04 PM
  3. Mounting NTFS HDD
    By ForbiddenSword in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 12:47 PM
  4. NTFS Mounting
    By dlichterman in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:22 PM
  5. NTFS mounting problems
    By Don_PhrostByte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99