I also ran knx-hdinstall on an old PII-233 with 32MB RAM but found it really slow even with a swap partition! Is MORPHIX that much more efficient on the hdd?

Oh, you use it at school and use Java too? We currently teach C++ (preAPCS and APCS) using GCC's g++. Next year we're going to try to use GCC's gcj to teach Java (in the new APCS). I'm curious if you use MORPHIX and/or KNOPPIX with students.

I have my students use KNOPPIX CDs in two labs.

One lab has sound cards and speakers with PIIIs and 128MB RAM. This lab is great. My students love to play the penguin oggs in the background while we write code. I wish my boss would let me do a knx-hdinstall on those machines!

My kids, in another class, also use KNOPPIX CDs and boot disks in another lab with only PMMX-233 and 128MB RAM. These are slow to boot-up, but then run pretty well.

Regards,