-
Senior Member
registered user
I teach 100 level chemistry labs and a developmental chem class. I have given a knopix cd and boot floppy to one of the CS professors, unfortunately as most, the CS department is currently 100% ms, there are two, maybe three linux computers on campus, my personal computer, which has Libranet 2.0, Knoppix and KDE-Morphix installed and a RedHat 8 server that is mainly used as a webserver for one of the CS/math professors.
I add jre so I can use linux to have full access to the schools exchange server. There is one computer in our instrumental chem lab that won't boot into win2000 so I'm thinking about configuring it for the jetdirect hp printer and leaving it running knoppix and see what happens. Here even the one professor that has been running linux webservers for years cannot comprehend using linux as a desktop OS.
I also ran knx-hdinstall on an old PII-233 with 32MB RAM but found it really slow even with a swap partition! Is MORPHIX that much more efficient on the hdd?
I don't think it's a Knoppix issue, unfortunately with the vast amount of hardware available today, the same feature creep we have seen affect windows is also affecting linux, I have a P-200MMX that runs a Morphix install OK with 64MB RAM, Debian woody is slow on the same hardware, slower than my old Debian potato, Libranet 1.2, Slackware 7.1, Mandrake 6, or RedHat 6 installs, I used to run a P-133 w/ 32MB RAM (several years ago) and it was totally usable, but it had KDE 1.X. There was nothing like open office or even star office, netscape was the most power hungry app. I used it mainly for internet stuff and used a netscape 4.X browser and a 1.X version of kmail. I have gotten to the point that if I don't have at least 64MB of RAM I make the machine into a dedicated server or router. One thing you could use the P-II w/ 32MB for is an X-terminal so you can remotely login to another machine, it would do that just fine, the one thing here is you need to have the same resolution on both machines. You would have to have a hd install on one machine and use gdm, kdm, or xdm for X logins (I use gdm, it seems the easiest to use for me) and set up your display manager to allow remote logins on your 'server' machine. I'm going to start doing this during exams as one of my classes is in a multimedia classroom, I'll boot into Morphix or Knoppix and then be able to remotely login to my computer in my office.
rock
Similar Threads
-
By Alextreme in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 136
Last Post: 03-10-2004, 08:56 PM
-
By Alextreme in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 01:14 AM
-
By Alextreme in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 09:24 AM
-
By Alextreme in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-28-2003, 11:21 PM
-
By Alextreme in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 11
Last Post: 01-15-2003, 07:42 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD
$40.00