darwin hardware support is poor, I think it's hard to make live darwin cd.
Instead, it is good if somebody can make a live VMware darwin image. So more people could have a try of it.
Just curious... has anyone done anything to develop a Darwin, OpenDarwin or GNU-Darwin / XDarwin live distro for x86?
My wife is a life-long Mac person (and adamantly so), but my laptop is our only portable computer. Knoppix does just fine on it, as do most other live distributions I've tested. My thought is that if such a beast as a live Darwin environment exists, preferably with a convincing Aqua environment, I could take along an extra disc and she would be much happier. And when we are traveling, a happy wife is a good thing!
- M.
darwin hardware support is poor, I think it's hard to make live darwin cd.
Instead, it is good if somebody can make a live VMware darwin image. So more people could have a try of it.
I think, there is NO need to emulate darwin as a whole, but I think there *is* a need to recreate only i'ts look&feel, which is Aqua theme, and possibly other aspects.
If you use Darwin kernel you might find many new problems...
It is true that that mac os x is based on the Darwin project. However, the entire os is not open source. Aqua and its components are proprietary and does not suport x86 hardware. Linux User & Developer Magazine has a feature in the back dedicated to explaining Mac OS X called Bite of the Apple. Basically, As of now you can not run Aqua on an x86 archetecture. If I'm not mistaken, the only portion you could install would be Darwin and then you would be left without a graphical user interface. I'm not at home now but I think the issues of the mag are #39 &40. It is a UK publication and costs like $11 us. The plus is there are coverdisks with diferent distros. The last one had Xandros and Lycoris distros as coverdisks, the month prior it was Suse 9. Sorry to dash those hopes. Maybe someday.

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00
Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$100.00
VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67
Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller
$499.99