Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Knoppix on dvd

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Knoppix on DVD-RW!

    ALRIGHT!!! After my early failure with DVD-RAM disks I decided to try my new DVD-Multi Drive with a DVD-RW disk just as someone (mjd) suggested. Obviously it worked because I am running my system off the drive right now. Thanks again to mjd for giving me the information about the software (DVD-Decryptor) and the DVD-RW disks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20

    Re: Knoppix on DVD-RW!

    Quote Originally Posted by georgestubbs
    ALRIGHT!!! After my early failure with DVD-RAM disks I decided to try my new DVD-Multi Drive with a DVD-RW disk just as someone (mjd) suggested. Obviously it worked because I am running my system off the drive right now. Thanks again to mjd for giving me the information about the software (DVD-Decryptor) and the DVD-RW disks.
    So the larger an image is the slower access to the image is???

    I'm sure someone will be hacking on cloop to get rid of this issue.

    Putting a standard Knoppix image onto DVD might speed up access though, as fast DVD-ROMs have a higher transfer rate than recent CD-ROMs. If Nx means the same read speed as it does write speed, than a 4x DVD has the same transfer rate as a 40x CD-ROM (approximately). Most modern DVD drives are 8x or more, and at least the 4X drives are CLV (or CLV-capable. The Pioneer DVR-105 records CLV - It maintains 4x for the entire disc when recording.) You might speed access times since the head doesn't have to seek as much on a smaller medium.

    BTW, there are patches to cdrecord that allow DVD recording under Linux. Stay away from the dvdrecord project - Their mkisofs is horribly broken and dvdrecord doesn't work with Pioneer DVR-105s unless using media present in the 105's media table. ($$$). The patch against cdrecord 2.0 that I use is somewhere on www.crashrecovery.org

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1

    Re: Knoppix on DVD

    Don't know much about this matter, but why would you need DVD-Decryptor to copy to a DVD-Ram? I just drag/copy-paste in WindowsXP.

    OTOH, I've never managed to get Knoppix to use a DVD-Ram...

    Quote Originally Posted by georgestubbs
    It works! I have my Knoppix 3.2 on a 1.45Gb 8cm mini DVD. I couldn't get the DVD-RAM to work with DVD-Decryptor though. Is there a problem with DVD-RAM and DVD-Decryptor. I checked their site and there doesn't seem to be any info about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13

$79.99



COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4 picture

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4

$169.95



Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10 picture

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10

$1505.77



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU

$99.99



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core Ultra 5 225F - Core Ultra 5 (Series 2) Arrow Lake 10-Core (6P+4E) NEW picture

Intel Core Ultra 5 225F - Core Ultra 5 (Series 2) Arrow Lake 10-Core (6P+4E) NEW

$149.95