-
Knoppix on dvd
This is going in the other direction of most people but I wanted to try it I haven't added much to it yet just distcc, blender and wings3d.
I burnt the image onto a dvd-rw and booted it on a laptop and everything works fine, now to start adding some big things like my 2 gig Unreal Tournament folder and see what the speed is like.
Anybody else try Knoppix on dvd?
Martin
-
DVD
Sounds like a great idea!!! There are alot of big stuff, flightgear map of the world....
That would be a great iso to put somewhere.
Bill
-
Senior Member
registered user
I suggested this to Klauss several months ago and he said it would run too slow!
Regards,
-
I will keep adding to it and see what the speed is like so far its okay just a lag as the disk spins up.
I want to put some games like Unreal Tournament Demo but I would need nvidia acceleration and doing a search it doesn't look like its being done.
Any other suggestions for adding to it, big programs that won't fit on a cdrom.
Martin
-
Knoppix on DVD
I saw your post about Knoppix on DVD and REALLY want to get a clue how you did it. I have the small (80mm) 1.45Gb disks in my drawer and want to be able to get Knoppix onto one of them. I know it won't be as easy as burning a CD, but I am able to burn regular DVD's in WinXP. Any ideas for me?
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
I created the image using the remastering how-to then I burned the image using dvd-decrypter under xp.
Dvd-decrypter is a great free program that will work when Nero won't to the job.
My later attemps using a larger compressed file system failed, I have to do some more testing to see if something got corrupted or if there is a size limit on the compressed file system.
I wonder if its possible to have more than one compressed file system on a disk and mount them seperately.
Martin
-
Senior Member
registered user
The bigger the image will get indeed,the slower it will get.
Isn't it possible to create then multiple img files and mount them seperately to accelerate it ?
I think by wisely deviding them (ex. each big game an img file) wouldn't it
accelerate things a little ?
Nevertheless using DVD's I think wouldn't demand a considerable amount of memory (read ramdisk ) extra to load the game.
In case of that extra memory maybe create more then 1 ramdisk ? A part for the system and a part for large gamefiles ?
Or is there maybe a trick on creating extra buffermemory for the DVD player ?
I think we'll have to wait for the new ATA standard.
Greetings,
-
Knoppix on DVD
It works! I have my Knoppix 3.2 on a 1.45Gb 8cm mini DVD. I couldn't get the DVD-RAM to work with DVD-Decryptor though. Is there a problem with DVD-RAM and DVD-Decryptor. I checked their site and there doesn't seem to be any info about it.
-
Cool, I don't know about dvd-ram I have been using dvd-rw's to play with this and they work fine.
Next I want to get the nvidia drivers working so I can try some games on it.
Martin
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW
$30.89

NEW - Samsung 512GB USB-C Flash Drive Blue Up to 400MB/s Read Speed
$120.00

Samsung Galaxy Book 5 Pro 360 16" Laptop Intel Core Ultra 7 256V/16GB/512GB Gray
$1499.00

Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 15.6” FHD Snapdragon X 16GB 512GB Copilot+
$499.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible
$39.00

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2
$89.00

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD
$59.99

Samsung T7 Shield 2TB USB-C Portable External SSD - Black (MU-PE2T0S)
$249.95

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem
$152.99