-
Senior Member
registered user
after apt-get update...
I have runned APT-GET UPDATE for a root shell, downloaded all the files, install them. After this, i went for APT-GET -U UPGRADE again for a root shell, donwloaded all the files, install them.
Well, after this my box is incredible slow!!! Did I do something wrong? Is this normal? I mean, it is really slow, reboot, login, opening and closing programs, internet...
Are updates really necessary? Because if not, I will stick with the basic!
Thank You.
PS. Also, APT-GET -U DIST-UPGRADE after that.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think I know what you mean, if you were upgrading from the knoppix install, and replaced the x-window system with the newer version in Debian, then you need to replace the /etc/kde3/xserver script with the debian version. The knoppix script pointed to the huge x file located slightly different than the x file that the debian script pointed to.
-
If you haven't purged any services they all got added to the runlevels and started when the packages were upgraded. Don't ask me why it is so, I simply don't understand the reason.
The easiest way is to do cd /etc/rc5.d and do ll and check for todays dates,
those probably got added and you can do update-rc.d -f servicename remove to stop them from starting at boot.
To just stop them do /etc/init.d/servicename stop
Post here the output of ll if you don't know which services you can do without. The ones you know you won't need can be purged with apt.
-
Senior Member
registered user
[quote]:I think I know what you mean, if you were upgrading from the knoppix install, and replaced the x-window system with the newer version in Debian, then you need to replace the /etc/kde3/xserver script with the debian version.
I am completely new to linux: could You tell me how to do it?
Thanks
PS. On restart is really slow especially when it comes to: STARTING NIS SERVICES YPBIND [BINDING TO YP SERVER...!
Also: RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK, takes long time!
Thanks again
-
Senior Member
registered user
For Markus:
What "purged" means?
Sorry I am completely new to linux.
-
For the ypbind problem do /etc/init.d/nis stop to stop the nis server.
To purge it means removing it and purging (removing) all configuration files for it with: apt-get --purge remove nis
-
Senior Member
registered user
For the ypbind problem do /etc/init.d/nis stop to stop the nis server
Is this from a root shell?
Thank You.
-
Yes, or just open a normal shell, type su, and give the root password. When done ctrl-d exits/logouts.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
testdisk: Depends: libntfs5 (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
This is what I got from APT-GET --PURGE REMOVE NIS.
Thank You.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb (--unp ack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfs progs
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
This what I got from APT-GET -F INSTALL.
Thank You.
Similar Threads
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 11:36 PM
-
By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:02 PM
-
By dugstratton in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-28-2004, 08:51 PM
-
By Jacques in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-10-2003, 12:18 PM
-
By Joutei in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED
$40.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99