Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: after apt-get update...

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Rats, something got borked with your upgrade. Can you post the output of dpkg --configure -a
    You can also try apt-get -s -t unstable install libntfs5 remove the -s for simulation if it looks ok.

    EDIT: You were too fast
    dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    dpkg --configure -a
    This is what I got after it:
    "Setting up libwine-twain (0.0.20040615-1) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    testdisk"

    apt-get -s -t unstable install libntfs5
    This is what I got after it:
    "Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libntfs5
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 261 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    Inst libntfs5 (1.9.0-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf libntfs5 (1.9.0-1 Debian:testing)
    Conf testdisk (5.2-6 Debian:testing)"

    dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb
    This is what I got after it:
    "(Reading database ... 106714 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libntfs5 (from .../libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5.0.0', which is also in package ntfsprogs
    dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libntfs.so.5', which is also in package ntfsprogs
    Setting up libntfs5 (1.9.0-1) ...."

    There is something wrong, correct?

    Thank you.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Umm, how about apt-get -s -t unstable install --reinstall testdisk libntfs5
    Seems like your dist-upgrade left some package from testing.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Hope you get it sorted out while I need some sleep (1 am in Finland)
    If you want info on apt and dpkg:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638
    man apt-get
    man dpkg

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Try this in a console window as root:
    Code:
    dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/libntfs5_1.9.0-1_i386.deb
    That should overwrite the conflicting file(s). After that is done, do this:
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    Repeat with the testdisk package if that also shows a breakage.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    As for the xserver scripts do this in a console as root:
    1) type mc
    2) cd /etc/kde3/kdm
    3) Look for the xservers file. If you see two of them and one is listed as xserver.dpkg-dist. then you need to type the following commands in the console as root:
    Code:
    mv xserver xserver.dpkg-old
    followed by
    Code:
    mv xserver.dpkg-dist xserver
    If you're still in the windows habit of rebooting, you might as well as reboot after this is done. If you're interested in a much quicker way of rebooting the x server, all you need to do is logout of kde, and then click menu>restart xserver. or ctl-alt-backspace. or ctl-alt-f1 and login as root and then type:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/kdm restart

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    uggh

    Xavier
    purge = purger, comme purger le corpse (Im guessing your first language here)
    clean out etc.

    What they are saying is when you upgrade the packages they get turned on by default when you boot and this is sucking your resources.....

    So you need to clean them out....

    however.... the big question is how much stuff do you have extra installed.
    I never use the upgrade... it is like a large hammer and becuase knoppix isnt quite 100% pure debian it can give problems. Rather I just upgrade individual packages....
    when I download i make sure I keep the debs and tarballs and stuff safe and every so often I make a new install from the latest CD.
    Then I reuse the packages and see how much still needs upgrading ...
    (since there might be later versions of stuff I originally got)

    I keep all my downloads and stuff in a seperate partition and I mount this partition below my home... so its /home/me/shared
    when you reinstall this partition isnt touched and you just need to make it mount automatically again (you edit /etc/fstab)

    Anyway its worth thinking if you want to go through all this or reinstall and that will depend on how much customisation you might loose.

    Im guessing since you ay
    I am completely new to linux: could You tell me how to do it?
    that you wont have much....

    The updates are nice but not critical.... it might be beter to get more comfortable with linux first and then try.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If you're in for a reinstall I could recommend Kanotix which is what I'm running. Quite like knoppix but based on pure SID (unstable) which gives you less trouble when upgrading packages.

    BTW, did you get over the problem?

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    Not sure but I think everything is fine now!!! This what I got after DPKG --CONFIGURE -A:
    dpkg --configure -a
    Setting up testdisk (5.2-6) ...
    What I have to do next? I would like to remind You:
    The restart is very slow... it takes very long time to go over {STARTING NIS SERVICES YPBIND [BINDING TO YO SERVER} and {RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK}

    Also, switching from one user to another takes long!!! Are those update really necessary?

    Thank You very much!!! [/quote]

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    For Durand:

    If you're still in the windows habit of rebooting, you might as well as reboot after this is done. If you're interested in a much quicker way of rebooting the x server, all you need to do is logout of kde, and then click menu>restart xserver. or ctl-alt-backspace. or ctl-alt-f1 and login as root and then type:
    Could You tell me what I have to do to logout of KDE?

    Thnks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can I update to 3.6?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 11:36 PM
  2. 3.3 update
    By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:02 PM
  3. apt-get update
    By dugstratton in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 08:51 PM
  4. Can not do an apt-get update...
    By Jacques in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 12:18 PM
  5. Update`ing KDE
    By Joutei in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors picture

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors

$290.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 256GB - Good

$474.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99