Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: after apt-get update...

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    For Gowator:
    The updates are nice but not critical.... it might be beter to get more comfortable with linux first and then try.
    Could You tell what I should do to get more confortable? I really really like linux and not affraid to dedicate time!
    Thanks

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by xaviers2002
    What I have to do next? I would like to remind You:
    The restart is very slow... it takes very long time to go over {STARTING NIS SERVICES YPBIND [BINDING TO YO SERVER} and {RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK}
    update-rc.d -f ntpdate remove will stop ntpdate from running at boot
    update-rc.d -f nis remove stops nis from running at boot
    apt-get --purge remove nis removes nis with all configuration files from your system so you won't get into the same trouble of an upgrade starting it.

    Also, switching from one user to another takes long!!! Are those update really necessary?
    A lot of people never upgrade their system and generally it's not needed. Only if you've had the same unstable install for months and try to install a package it may not work because it depends on newer versions of already installed packages. I hope that made any sense. Luckily after months or so enough skills should have been acquired to overcome these quirks and therefore the problem will go away almost by itself.

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Logging out of KDE is real simple. For me, I just right-click the desktop and click logout. Most windows folks probably click on the start button (wheel with a big K) and click log out. Then if you're really lazy, you could put a logout applet in the kicker and just click that to logout.

    HTH,

    Durand

  4. #24
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    OK... The problem with "STARTING NIS SERVICES IS GONE"
    I still see "RUNNING NTPDATE TO SYNCHRONIZE CLOCK", BUT IT DOESN'T TAKE THAT LONG AS BEFORE.

    I think my biggest consern now, is the fact that my box is slow due to all the programs running in the background! What I have to do to preventing them to start at login?
    What I have to do if I want to update and upgrade only 1 program? Because everything has started with JAVA. I went for APT-GET UPDATE, and I was not expecting so many updates!!! Also I was not expecting all the programs up and running at start up like in W$!!!

    Thank You.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Post here the output of ll if you don't know which services you can do without. The ones you know you won't need can be purged with apt.
    I have:
    bind9
    portmap
    apmd
    cupsys
    dbus-1
    dhcp3-server
    makedev
    partimaged
    rsync
    ssh
    sslwrap
    xfs
    bluez-utils
    squid
    fetchmail
    kdm
    xdm
    Thanks for any help you can offer me. Also, how can I modify the startup script otherwise?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Good god! I didn't mean that I would know the answer, just that someone would, so don't blame me if this completely borks up your install.
    Some services listen for connections which can be a security risk, check with:
    netstat -tap|grep LISTEN and nmap localhost

    Anyway I might as well take a shot at this so:

    bind9 ,purge, DNS server, most people use what their ISP provides and you would know if you needed it.
    portmap ,purge, Remote Procedure Call is used by NFS and NIS servers which you probably aren't running
    apmd ,keep, your Power Management
    cupsys ,keep, the printing server
    dbus-1 ,remove, used for interapplication communication, I purged it without effects but I'm not sure about this
    dhcp3-server ,purge, same as with bind you probably don't need this unless your machine is a dhcp server/router
    makedev ,keep, not sure about this
    partimaged ,remove, a drive imaging/ghosting software which you can start if you need it
    rsync ,remove, used for transfering differences of files over a network
    ssh ,remove, like encrypted telnet, good to have if you want remote login to your computer
    sslwrap ,remove, encryption for mail servers etc., not sure.
    xfs ,keep, the font server for X-windows
    bluez-utils ,can't say, it's for bluetooth which I don't know if you have
    squid ,purge, a proxy server you probably aren't running
    fetchmail ,purge, the name says it all and you probably have a normal mail account used with kmail/mozilla
    kdm ,keep, your window manager with login screen
    xdm ,remove, can someone who actually runs Knoppix confirm that it still uses kdm?

    purge after a service means apt-get --purge remove servicename which completely removes it from your computer
    remove means update-rc.d -f servicename remove which just removes the startup links
    If you want one of them back, say ssh do: update-rc.d ssh defaults
    I also don't run any inetd services, check /etc/inetd.conf and comment out everything with a #

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Can I update to 3.6?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 11:36 PM
  2. 3.3 update
    By baldyeti in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 11:02 PM
  3. apt-get update
    By dugstratton in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 08:51 PM
  4. Can not do an apt-get update...
    By Jacques in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 12:18 PM
  5. Update`ing KDE
    By Joutei in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2003, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1539.00



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$222.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99