Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: REISERFS how to...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124

    REISERFS how to...

    I have tried to install knoppix with a reiserfs partion but when I go for the installation knoppix will automatically change the partition for ext3. What I have to do to install it on a reiserfs partion? Is this something the must be done before the installation when I am running knoppix from the CD, or this is something that is done after, once knoppix is installed in to the HD?

    Thank You.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    knoppix-installer will format the partition before installing everything...so it's formatting over the reiserfs format you're doing. You need to tell the installer script to use reiserfs, which you do by editing the .knofig file. You'll see what to change when you open the file. The easiest way is to configure all the stuff you can through the installer then choose to exit the installer and say yes when it asks if you want to save the configuration. Then I believe the .knofig file is in the /root directory. Edit it as root and then go back into the installer script again. You can see what it's going to do before you install...it should say that it's going to format with reiserfs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    you do by editing the .knofig file




    Could You tell me how to "edit" a file? I am new to linux.

    Thank You.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    37
    I'm just curius.

    Why do you want to use raiserfs?

    If i was you i would stick to the defaults and try to learn more about GNU/Linux first!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    I read that reiserfs is faster than ext3. This is the reason why I would give it a try. Also since my box is new so I don't have data and or any particular configuration.

    Could You tell me where I can learn more about GNU/linux?.

    Thank You for any advices.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    You edit a file in linux the same way you do in DOS/Windows - with an editor. Could be Kate, KWrite, or even OpenOffice, I suppose, as long as you save as plain text. From the console, you could use midnight commander (mc). If you were in DOS or Windows and wanted to edit, say autoexec.bat, you could do it in Windows by opening the file in Notepad and saving the file on exit. Or, if at a DOS prompt, you'd go to the appropriate directory (C:\ or C:\Windows - wherever the file is kept), and type "edit autoexec.bat" (or "edlin autoexec.bat" if you're really old). Anyway, think of Kate as the linux Notepad, and "mc" as the linux Edit (or edlin). You can right-click the file from the KDE desktop and select open with, and select your editor, or if you're in a console, go to the directory and type "mc filename".

    Best way to learn is live CD with persistent home, IMO. I think when you asked how to edit a file, you may have left some with the impression that you aren't yet ready for a full hd install. I don't know if that's the case or not - only you can answer that. I can just tell you that I don't think I'm ready yet, and I'm doing fine with booting from hd image "poor man's", using "from hd" cheat code, with a peristent home. I read where probono does this too, and if he can do what he does with that, I figure it has to be good enough for me too.

    There is a sticky at the top of the General Support section, with a link to Linux in a Nutshell, which is really good at explaining console commands. There are some really great howtos and FAQs at the Debian site that are very helpful also. I often link to them in my responses.

    jd

    jd

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    I think when you asked how to edit a file, you may have left some with the impression that you aren't yet ready for a full hd install.
    I have already installed knoppix in my hardrive with ext3, but somebody wrote that reiserfs is faster than ext3! This is the reason why I want to go for reiserfs type installation.
    I think I will have to study more the commands; this is something really new for me!

    Thank You.

Similar Threads

  1. What happened to reiserfs???
    By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 10:55 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 EXT3 / Reiserfs
    By thiagoalencar in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 11:22 PM
  3. 3.2/qtparted/reiserfs
    By martial in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:14 PM
  4. Kernel panic - reiserfs
    By tarAnta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 06:59 PM
  5. ReiserFS Support
    By rakoon in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2003, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368 picture

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368

$22.99



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New picture

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New

$33.50



Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY picture

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY

$32.99



OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515 picture

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515

$22.00



OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576 picture

OEM 74WH 357F9 Battery For Dell Inspiron 15 7559 i7559 7557 i7557 5577 7567 5576

$26.99



OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR picture

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR

$37.40



OEM 97Wh NYFJH Battery For Dell Precision 7530 7540 7730 7740 P74F P34E Series picture

OEM 97Wh NYFJH Battery For Dell Precision 7530 7540 7730 7740 P74F P34E Series

$30.99