I've had problems getting my HD installation to retain the info re. my soundcard. Knoppix off CD finds it w/o problem, and retains the info for the session's activities. Debian SID seems to find the info - but, I'm not 100% sure of this, since the messages go whipping past on the screen so quickly; long, scrolling list as it does its stuff. Once into the session, I find that the system doesn't have any soundcard logged in as available.
I tried fixing this via using keypress during boot, to get the boot to do a soundcard search & configuration; it seems to work(?), but it's hard to be sure. It's not there when the session is in-progress.
I tried using Ctrl-Alt-F1 & logging in as root to use sndconfig. I get logged in okay, and the sndconfig utility starts up okay - but, when I have it search, it can't find the soundcard. Going to pick from the list, I find it prepped w/ the correct card as the default item highlighted. Selecting that, and proceeding, it fails. Gives me a "segmentation fault" or "segmentation failure" error. Last time I tried this, I noticed that the sndconfig program I'm using bears the Red Hat copyright. The only way that program could be in there, is if the Knoppix installation program put it there.
Any ideas how I can fix this and have my soundcard properly registered for use during sessions?
Thanks in advance, for any help.

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
Retro ATARI 800 Computer w/ATARI 410, INDUS G.T., 41x Floppy programs + Cover
$1000.00
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00